FMT: When to stop the probiotics

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: FMT: When to stop the probiotics

Postby beth22 » Thu May 27, 2021 9:02 pm

I would not worry too much about blood. During routine colonoscoies, doctors often take biopsies and there is bleeding.

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Postby GtrGrl » Fri May 28, 2021 10:34 am

Thanks Beth, for all your reassurance (and the hug, Sally). I’m so on edge, feeling really weak, dizzy and ill and worrying, ‘what if it doesn’t take?’. I suppose everyone worries about that... The loperamide is still doing its work too :/

I’m sticking to porridge, berries, bananas, nuts and potatoes - and still losing weight. I can’t seem to get enough calories in. Doc said I’m malnourished but scared to vary diet. I was supplementing with Huel before the FMT (complete meal in a shake without the usual sugar and other rubbish added) but it contains probiotics so I can’t have it anymore. I want to do everything I can to boost the bacteria; does anyone know if sauerkraut is classed as probiotic and inadvisable?

lvg
New User

Postby lvg » Sat May 29, 2021 8:26 am

I would try adding in some protein like chicken, eggs, turkey, and bone broth. They’ve all been fine for me and have helped with getting in the needed calories. Oatmeal has also been good. Sending you best wishes!!

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Postby GtrGrl » Sun May 30, 2021 7:02 pm

Thanks Ivg. I’ve been vegetarian for 21 years but because of all this weight and muscle loss I have taken the tough decision to start eating some fish. Meat is still not on the agenda for me but eggs are a great suggestion, thanks. Love oatmeal!

I have some abdo pain tonight and Panic is waiting in the wings so I have knocked back a diazepam to try and stay calm. Ugh!

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Re: FMT: When to restart probiotics

Postby GtrGrl » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:53 am

Fellow FMTers: any advice on RESTARTING probiotics? It’s been 10 weeks and I am not feeling well. The panic is setting in and I wonder if I should hit the S Boulardii early on to try and protect myself. I’m recovering from a vicious yeast infection (surely caused by all the antibiotics over the past seven months) and wonder if the clotrimazole cream I used to treat has been absorbed and caused issues. But maybe adding another yeast is a bad idea esp so soon after the transplant.

Any insights, as always, so greatly appreciated.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:36 pm

I would check with the doctor who did the FMT and ask. Some doctors have no problem with re-starting probiotics and others don't want you to do that.

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Postby GtrGrl » Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:46 pm

Thank you, Beth. I did and he was vague! ;D
Contracted C Diff from a round of Flucloxacillin, November 2020.

Metronidazole - Metronidazole - Dificid - Dificid - Vancomycin - Upper GI FMT - Vancomycin - Vancomycin - Lower GI FMT

lvg
New User

Postby lvg » Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:45 pm

My doctor said it was up to me. He said they’re not necessary after an FMT since that’s better than any probiotic. He also said he didn’t mind if I really wanted to try adding in Florastor or Culturelle or Align. He said they probably wouldn’t hurt but also might not help. I haven’t taken any, though. I’ve seen some people after a year or two recommending Philips Colon Health.

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Postby GtrGrl » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:27 am

Thanks Ivg. I spoke to another member of the team and he said it was ok to take, so I’m going to give them a go to try and sort this latest problem.

Metronidazole - Metronidazole - Dificid - Dificid - Vancomycin - Upper GI FMT - Vancomycin - Vancomycin - Lower GI FMT

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:17 am

FMT is the ultimate probiotic.
It can take several months to mature.
Probiotic you buy are thought to help by taking up the space/receptors that c. Diff likes to occupy.
Nobody knows if that's correct and it's likely they compete with the FMT bacteria as well.

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Postby GtrGrl » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:28 am

I wouldn’t be considering it were it not for having to treat the candida infection. I might have to take fluconazole or itraconazole next, which I really wanted to avoid as I know it kills off ‘good’ yeast too. I read a post about someone relapsing on fluconazole so that + some abdo discomfort = nervous.

Return to “FMT Discussion”