FMT: When to stop the probiotics

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

FMT: When to stop the probiotics

Postby GtrGrl » Wed May 19, 2021 4:43 pm

Hi all, I searched on this subject before starting a new thread but ‘probiotics’ returned too many results! So apologies if this is a repeat question: any advice on when to stop probiotics in the run up to FMT? Two days before, like the vancomycin? Or sooner? It will be scary to stop but I know I need to do so to give it the best chance.

Thanks.
Last edited by GtrGrl on Wed May 26, 2021 11:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Contracted C Diff from a round of Flucloxacillin, November 2020.

Metronidazole - Metronidazole - Dificid - Dificid - Vancomycin - Upper GI FMT - Vancomycin - Vancomycin - Lower GI FMT

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: When to stop the probiotics?

Postby beth22 » Thu May 20, 2021 1:27 am

I stopped when I stopped the antibiotics prior to FMT. Some doctors don't want you to take them afterwards. Others say it is okay, so check with your doctor.

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Re: FMT: When to stop the probiotics?

Postby GtrGrl » Thu May 20, 2021 6:20 am

Thanks Beth. I imagine kefir has to fall into that category too!

Metronidazole - Metronidazole - Dificid - Dificid - Vancomycin - Upper GI FMT - Vancomycin - Vancomycin - Lower GI FMT

lvg
New User

Postby lvg » Fri May 21, 2021 7:42 am

I stopped everything but Florastor at my gastroenterologist’s recommendation when I started the round of antibiotics prior to fmt. I stopped Florastor four or five days before the fmt to give it a chance to get out of my system. It probably would have been fine if I kept taking it, too. I haven’t taken any pill form probiotics since, just have drunk Golden Milk tea from Garden of Life which contains some probiotics, but I only use half a scoop of it so not a lot of probiotics. I’ve had some yogurt too, but that’s it. :-) Best wishes!

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Postby GtrGrl » Sat May 22, 2021 1:49 pm

Thanks to you too, Ivg. Gastro did say not to take probiotics but I hadn’t asked exactly when to stop. I won’t take any more, and I ran out of S Boulardii capsules today so that was quite good timing.

Now working out what I can actually eat in readiness for the b. prep and getting some meal ideas together for afterwards so I’m not having to think too much about it whilst feeling rough, which I know I likely will be!

Best wishes to you.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun May 23, 2021 12:53 am

Good luck with the procedure and let us know how it all turns out!

jG43
Contributor

Postby jG43 » Sun May 23, 2021 10:29 am

My GI explained it to me this way before my fmt. The fmt is the ultimate probiotic. Any extra probiotics would have negligible benefit in relation to the bacteria from the fmt. I stopped taking a probiotic 10 days before my fmt when I started on dificid. After my fmt my GI did not recommend a probiotic for a few months. I am over 2 years post fmt and take a daily philips colon health as recommended by my GI to help with occasional ibs issues.

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Postby GtrGrl » Sun May 23, 2021 11:07 am

Thanks for the extra insight, jG43. It’s great to know FMT worked for you too. I last took a Bio Kult capsule yesterday (Saturday) around 12 noon, so I hope that’s long enough before the procedure this week. Oh goodness, just remembered I ate some live yoghurt last night too :/

I’m dreading the prep...they have given me senna to take as well as the sachets, which I worry is overkill. It’s not like I’m struggling to go, here!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun May 23, 2021 7:13 pm

I wouldn't worry about the probiotic that you took. The laxative prep will wash it out anyway.

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Postby GtrGrl » Tue May 25, 2021 4:02 am

Thanks Beth. I’m now panicking that the laxative will mean I pass the transplant really quickly. I just had to take a second pack yet I was still feeling the effects of the one I took yesterday! I hope they give something to slow it down afterwards so I can hold it a while.

Edit: they plan to give me something soon.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue May 25, 2021 2:27 pm

Dont worry about passing the FMT too quickly.
It bathes your colon with bacteria and no matter how much comes out some does stay in.
Then it multiplies.
It's like sowing a new lawn.
1 seed for the lawn and 50 for the birds but you still end up with grass!

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Postby GtrGrl » Tue May 25, 2021 3:48 pm

Thanks Roy. I’m pretty devastated right now as they couldn’t get even halfway round my colon despite best efforts.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed May 26, 2021 1:14 am

As long as they got some in I would not worry. FMT can be done with enemas as well and those don't go all the way up. I did better with enemas than with the colonoscopy FMT.

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Postby GtrGrl » Wed May 26, 2021 5:49 am

That’s good to hear, Beth, thank you.

I’m also freaking out that because there was some blood caused by the scope, I’m going to get an infection. I feel pretty unwell. The anxiety surrounding all this is so tough. And worrying isn’t going to help recovery but I’m finding it impossible to stop.

SJW2903
New User

Re: FMT: When to stop the probiotics

Postby SJW2903 » Wed May 26, 2021 11:37 am

I don’t have any experience of the procedure but I can totally sympathise with the anxiety. I hope things settle for you soon and that you are able to get some relief from you anxiety. It’s really hard to stop worrying even though we know it’s not going to help us recover. Sending you a virtual hug x

Return to “FMT Discussion”