2 days post fmt and major c-diff symptoms

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
Kcben
Brand New Poster

2 days post fmt and major c-diff symptoms

Postby Kcben » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:35 pm

Hi all,

I’m 35 female. After failing the Vancomycin and Dificid treatments 3 times since my initial infection in November, I got an fmt Thursday afternoon using tablets. I stopped vanco Tuesday per protocol, took antacids, didn’t eat the day of and didn’t drink water 2 hours before the procedure. Now it’s saturday night. Thursday (the day of the procedure) i was fine but slept a lot. Friday I woke up puking and had terrible diarrhea 20+ times that day. I also had extreme pain in my hips, legs, and lower back which is exactly the pain I had when I was admitted to the hospital for this in November when I was first diagnosed. Today, Saturday was slightly better with no body pains and more like 15 watery painful diarrhea, still overall stomach pain and nausea.

My dr thinks there is still a chance the transplant will take hold. I think he believes this could be normal post-transplant diarrhea, but I the similarity of the symptoms really makes me think it’s c-diff. If it’s true that the cdiff has taken hold because of stopping vanco pre-transplant, is there any chance the new transplant bacteria can fight the cdiff? I can’t find this answer online and I’m terrified this is going to escalate, or that this transplant is a failure. The first time I had cdiff I was in the hospital for 4 days and had sepsis at one point. Anyone’s experience post-fmt that sounds anything like this would be appreciated.
Last edited by Kcben on Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: 2 days post fmt and major c-diff symptoms

Postby beth22 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:23 am

Welcome to the site. Please read the first forum for more information for new posters.

Pills for FMT have worked for some and not for others. I had an NG transfer done in 2008 because pills were not available then and it failed, but about 3 weeks later. Most people do better with FMT via colonoscopy or enemas. But, as your doctor said, give it some time and see how it goes.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: 2 days post fmt and major c-diff symptoms

Postby georgina » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:10 am

It does sound like quite an ordeal. At this point you could wait it out and see if things slow down in the next hours and try to keep yourself hydrated by drinking lots of liquids but if you are also vomiting and you can't keep anything down you should go to ER to get iv fluids.

Return to “FMT Discussion”