Stomach pain post FMT

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
Lee1980
Brand New Poster

Stomach pain post FMT

Postby Lee1980 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:26 pm

Hi all. New to the group but have been following for a while. My journey with cdiff started in June after antibiotics. After treatment with vanco for 14 days, i relapsed. Tried vanco taper and relapsed. Last tried dificid 10 days failed also. I’m now 3 days post FMT and (although I’m trying so hard not to be) SO anxious. I pooped in the recovery room but the nurse said that was normal. Today I had my first BM and it was formed! I am excited but with that I’m experiencing weird pain in my upper abdomen (that I only ever recall with cdiff) and extreme bloating. Can anyone recall the pooping patterns after the procedure? Can you go from formed to D? I understand BMs can be all over the place after but I’m just so anxious. This stomach pain is the same feeling as the cdiff. I’m praying it won’t come back! I’m 38 and planning my wedding for May. Any feedback is SO appreciated.

Lid49
Regular Contributor

Re: Stomach pain post FMT

Postby Lid49 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:33 pm

Hi, I do had 2 Fmt done and I can tell you that is normal.
Keep blend diet .
Good look.

Lee1980
Brand New Poster

Postby Lee1980 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:49 pm

Thanks for responding so quickly. Are you cured now after your second FMT and how did you know you were relapsing after the first one and what symptoms did you have? Thank you

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:34 pm

A colonoscopy procedure in itself can give you stomach pains afterwards. The new bacteria from the stool can give gas and bloating too. I also had it.

Lee1980
Brand New Poster

Postby Lee1980 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:00 pm

Thanks beth22. Did you have normal BMs right away? Also how long did it take you to start to feel better? I’m planning my wedding for this coming May and sadly i haven’t been able to enjoy much. I am hopeful with the FMT I can move forward now but every little symptom scares me.. i appreciate your feedback

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:37 pm

I had bms that were normal sometimes, sometimes not. I found I had a lot of food intoletances. I used to take Pepto Bismol when I would get loose stools, but that might not be a good idea as it does have antimicrobial properties and you don't want to kill good bacteria. There is a product called EnteraGam that is for IBS D that some have found helpful after c diff. It helps build up the gut immune system. You need a prescription though.

Return to “FMT Discussion”