Post FMT Stool Color

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
CDnotME
New User

Post FMT Stool Color

Postby CDnotME » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:45 pm

I had my FMT on July 19th. My BM’s got normal pretty quickly, however around my time of the month (sorry if that’s tmi) I started having looser stools but nothing consistent so I didn’t submit a sample for testing. 1.5 weeks post menstrual cycle and I’m having formed stools again once per day (which was not my normal pre Cdiff). Since my 2.5 year CDiff battle I have began analyzing EVERYTHING about my poop. Right after FMT my stool was a brown/green color. Now, a little over a month after it’s brown looking in the bowl but brownish yellow on the TP. And i have noticed I’ve been having lots of gas. I know post infectious IBS is a real thing (I had IBS before cdiff) but is this a normal part of recovery for others. Worried about this color. TIA!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Post FMT Stool Color

Postby beth22 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:37 am

As long as you are not having D, I would not worry. Clor changes depending on what you eat. If you eat spinach, broccoli, more green. Carrots or sweet potato more orangey.

Ajs
Regular Contributor

Postby Ajs » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:15 pm

CDnotME, I too have noticed for a while, that the color of the stool doesn’t match the color on the tp. I’m also hoping that this is strictly my body in recovery. I know how you feel though. Seeing the yellow constantly on the TP is worrisome. Maybe it will help each of us to know that we’re not the only one. I have wondered if there was something going on with my pancreas, gall bladder, or liver, but I think it’s worth giving it a few weeks before diving into more tests. I’ve read on here many times to stop worrying about colors and only go on the D symptoms and other cdiff symptoms (cramps, gurgling, urgency, etc). Hope you continue on your road to recovery as I currently am!

CDnotME
New User

Postby CDnotME » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:46 pm

Besides the worrying I am definitely enjoying a decrease of GI symptoms. I’ve also noticed that the smell is more acidic, have you noticed that? But YES! My symptoms of CDiff were blood and mucus and rectal pain. It was awful. I’ve read that a lot of people’s stool color doesn’t go back to normal for months and months. I’m banking on no D, no mucus, equals RECOVERY. Apparently 8 weeks post FMT pretty much means you’re good. I will be there on Sept. 19th.

Ajs
Regular Contributor

Postby Ajs » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:03 pm

That’s awesome!! The countdown is on!

I am only 3 days out from my FMT, so I’ve not yet noticed a big change in smell. It’s been so long since I’ve had a “normal” smell I’m not sure I’d recognize it. I HAVE noticed a more acidic feel. Some itching going on, which is also something that I’ve read can be normal. I’ll be praying that you make it to the 19th with no relapse and continued improvements!! It’s good to hear that your GI symptoms are already improving!

CDnotME
New User

Postby CDnotME » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:07 pm

Thanks! I’ll be thinking about you as well! Hopefully here’s to being happy, and CDiff free!!! I just have to remember that it may take time to get back to normal. Several people have sworn they relapsed, but it turned out only being post infectious IBS.

Also if anyone else has advice on what to expect or if you’ve had the color problems.....please let us know we aren’t alone lol

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:42 am

Color doesn't mean anything , the only thing that counts is that you are having mostly formed stools,normal frequency, and occasionally a looser stool ,witch most of us women have during that time of the month.

Roxanne
Regular User

Postby Roxanne » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:14 pm

My second FMT had a different color/smell for a couple of months, everything was fine. First one, no different odor/color differences. These were separate cases of C-Diff.

Return to “FMT Discussion”