FMT Done!

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
Ajs
Regular Contributor

FMT Done!

Postby Ajs » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:32 pm

I just had my FMT via colonoscopy. I’ll give a better update later, but for the moment, How long should I suffer through holding it in? This is getting rough fast! So far it’s been 3 1/2 hrs

Whyme111
Regular User

Re: FMT Done!

Postby Whyme111 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:44 pm

How are you feeling?

Ajs
Regular Contributor

Postby Ajs » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:00 pm

At the moment I feel much better. I ended up “going” twice to relieve some pressure. Not to get too TMI, but when I was able to get rid of some air it helped a lot! My gut is making sounds I’ve never heard before, but there’s no pain. Hopefully I will be able to postpone another trip to the bathroom for a while. I just ate a very, very small amount of boiled chicken and white rice. In a couple hours I’ll try a little more. Thanks for asking! How are you?

Whyme111
Regular User

Postby Whyme111 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:09 pm

That's great that you are able to eat something and not in any pain right now. Keep us updated.
For me it's up and down; I try to psych myself out into thinking it's not too bad but I'm really down because I don't know what direction to go. Medication... FMT.... now I'm wondering if I had just let my body try to fight the initial response to this infection, if it would have been ok.? Looking back and knowing more now, I'm frustrated because I started treatment right away after seeing M and a little B but now after multiple rounds of meds, it just feels different. It's taken a toll, that's for sure.

Ajs
Regular Contributor

Postby Ajs » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:27 pm

I’m so sorry! You’re not alone, and you cannot hold it against yourself! Even still, most of the world has never heard of cdiff. I was like you. When I had my first positive test results I had already gotten over the D, but my doctor (or nurse rather) told me that I had to take the antibiotics anyway. I didn’t know any better about what to do other than follow their instructions. All we can do now is move forward. Plus, we can educate all those around us on the importance of not abusing antibiotics!! I’m praying for you and hope you start doing better soon! I can’t remember, are you currently testing positive?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:28 pm

Ajs it sounds as if you did fine. Some people only were able to hold it in for about an hour and still did fine. The FMT coats your intestines, even when you have a bm and that film is what contains the flora you want. Just eat bland for a few days. The noises are probably still trapped air. I had a lot of that after not only FMT, but regular colonoscopy prior to ever getting c difficile.

Ajs
Regular Contributor

Postby Ajs » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:31 pm

Beth, I have to laugh, these noises coming from my gut sound just like Chewbacca on Star Wars! :)

Whyme111
Regular User

Postby Whyme111 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:33 pm

Ajs, I am waiting to hear back. Hopefully I'll have a direction soon. Thank you for listening. I'll be praying for you as well.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:44 am

Hope the FMT will do the trick. If you kept it in more then two hours it should be ok . After then FMT you will have lots of trapped gas that can't be relieved in the first day and also liquid that is not entirely absorbed by the gut so those noises are from gas and liquid and they will stick around for awhile but that's normal , nothing to worry about. Make sure you get some rest and eat bland , even though doctors say to resume to a normal diet , belive me it won't work.

Ajs
Regular Contributor

Postby Ajs » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:36 am

Georgina, I get so tired of hearing them say I can resume my normal diet! I want to say, “That sounds real good Doc, but maybe you should inform my gut that I can resume a normal diet.” Ive dealt with 4 different doctors and they all give that answer, and never give suggestions on safe things to try. I guess it’s not their department, but as many people as there are who struggle with IBS from cdiff, you would think there would be more discussion on that from the doctors. That’s what makes this forum so valuable!!

Return to “FMT Discussion”