Days/weeks after FMT

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
Ajs
Regular Contributor

Days/weeks after FMT

Postby Ajs » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:08 pm

I’m having a FMT via colonoscopy on Aug 23. Im having a bit of trouble finding information on what I should do in the days and weeks after. Should I continue my florastor? Keifer water, activia yogurt? What about prebiotics to help feed the new bacteria? Also, what about vitamins? My GI seems to be familiar enough with the FMT process, but it’s not hard to tell that cdiff is probably not his specialty. In fact, when I first started treatment after being diagnosed they told me that I could eat whatever I wanted to, with no restrictions. Wrong!!

Anyway, I appreciate any advice that could be given for the days and weeks after the FMT. My wife and kids have a beach trip planned for the last week of September. That would be around 4 or 5 weeks after the FMT. I am terrified to go (fear of relapse away from home)...

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: Days/weeks after FMT

Postby georgina » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:36 am

Most doctors don't agree with the use of pill probiotics after FMT because they think that the pill bacteria can compete with the natural bacteria received from FMT.Fiber is actually indicated to feed the new starter culture and help it grow, you can try a small amount at first to see how you tolerate it. I had my FMT 10 days ago and i can't seem to tolerate anything i am putting in my mouth (talking about a very bland diet) so i did not touch the fiber because i am kinda' scared of having more trouble.

Ajs
Regular Contributor

Postby Ajs » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:38 am

Georgina, I’m sorry to hear that you’ve had a hard time with your diet. Was this your first FMT? Did the FMT cause your stomach to be more sensitive?

Lid49
Regular Contributor

Postby Lid49 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:15 pm

Hi Georgina, I hope you are ok, is this youre second Fmt?
Did cdiff come back and you had to have Fmt?
Please let us know how you fell, you help me a lot during my relapses and fmt .
I will keep you in my prayers. Speed recovery.
Lidia.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:38 pm

Ajs, my doctor said it was okay to take Florastor after FMT as it is a yeast and not a bacteria. I did not tolerate it well tbough. Vitamins are a good idea. I was deficient in vitamin D and there have been some studies that people with c diff often have low vitamin d. They don't know if it makes one more prone to relapse. I know when I supplemented with it, symptoms improved. If kefir agrees with you, I don't see why you need to stop, but ask your doctor.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:18 am

This is my second FMT , in 2015 i had one through nasogatric tube , eleven days ago had the colonoscopy FMT. Don't think that FMT caused my gut to be sensitive , it may be from the months of Vanco or maybe the quality of donor stool was now great or maybe it needs more time to grow , or it may very well be Cdiff back , don't know. For now just hanging in there !

Ajs
Regular Contributor

Postby Ajs » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:19 am

My prayers are with you Georgina.

Ajs
Regular Contributor

Postby Ajs » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:22 pm

Georgina, I just had you on my mind. I hope you’ve noticed improvement since this last post. At least enough to know cdiff hasn’t returned and that you’re in recovery.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:42 am

Well , since i started the low FODMAP diet improvement are seen : reduced frequency , no more bloating,less gas , some minor cramps after meals , stool is still soft but is starting to get shape.

Ajs
Regular Contributor

Postby Ajs » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:47 am

So glad you are improving!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:02 am

That's encouraging news, Georgina. Maybe gluten was giving you a problem.

Return to “FMT Discussion”