Positive test after FMT

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
Bel61
New User

Positive test after FMT

Postby Bel61 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:39 pm

Hello all,
I had my fmt on 5-4 then got a bad uti and was on macro I'd for 7 days starting the day after the transplant. I was admitted to the hospital due to serious abdominal pain and low sodium. I have had very loose stools since the transplant anywhere from 2 to 5 per day. While I was in the hospital they tested my stool and it came back positive for c-diff. One doctor had me start vanco but I only took 2 pills until another doctor intervened and stated that we need to give my body a chance to combat this on its own. I was still on macro I'd as I had burning while urinating. I seem to remember bladder burning during c-diff or maybe the Vancouver causing it.
Anyway the second doc took me off of all the antibiotics and started having me take pepto bismol tablets twice a day. This is the first day I did not not have a bm in the morning but had one one this afternoon that was formed. My question being can you test positive that soon after fmt and still have a successful transplant? I am having intestinal pain in my lower abdomen and also my low back similar to when I had c-diff. The doctor said she believes that it is post infectious ibs, which I am sure I have as well.
I know the three day rule and am hoping that the c-diff will be overcome by the new bacteria.
Also the doctor here wants me to try to find a donor and she would do an fmt via Ng tube since I had a somewhat bad reaction to the colonoscopy transplant. I know several posters on here that have had the ng transplant that failed so I am very leery to do that. This doctor is concerned because I have lost so much weight and am somewhat in a weakened state.
Any thoughts and ideas would be appreciated. I am still hoping that this transplant will be successful even though I tested positive.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Positive test after FMT

Postby beth22 » Thu May 17, 2018 1:55 am

I would give it some time. I was on Pepto Bismol for a long time after having an FMT and it did help me. In fact, I started out with a positive test and after taking the Pepto it became negative. Pepto has some antimicrobial properties. If your symptoms get worse, why not look into taking the FMT capsules instead of the NG transfer. Not only did it not help me, but really it is not a very pleasant procedure and it can cause SIBO. It did for me. The capsules might do the same thing unless they break open further into the intestines, but at least it would be an easier way of doing a top down procedure. OpenBiome used to supply them. I'm not sure if they still do. Some doctors make their own.

Bel61
New User

Postby Bel61 » Tue May 22, 2018 2:34 pm

Beth,
How long did it take for you to start feeling better? I have been taking the pepto tablets twice a day for a week now. I felt better for a few days then slowly I have started feeling worse and worse with the last 3 days with severe nausea and terrible heartburn, feeling a bit like the flu. I have not had diarrhea but did have some loose stools this morning. After I have a bowel movement I feel so nauseated that I can't do much for a while. I am still having intestinal pain as well and am hoping this is all post infectious it's, but I don't know. I am wondering if the pepto is masking symptoms? I am really feeling sick today and could not even go to town.
I am trying to make an appointment with an infectious disease group in the city but am not sure they will see me at this point. They are one of two groups that use open biome for their patients. If I do relapse I would like to have an infectious disease doctor on my team. The GI doc that did my fmt was very frustrated with me as I had the bad reaction to the fmt. He told me if I relapsed the next step would be surgery. That really freaked me out and I thought I would not be going back to him.
The doctor at our local hospital is the one that wanted to do the nasogastric fmt if I relapsed but I would need to find my own donor. I cannot find anyone healthy enough to be a donor. That is why I am wanting to see this group of ID docs as they have access to open biome. I don't want to be such a pessimist but I don't want to wait and try to find a doctor if I do relapse.
I just needed some encouragement today and so here I am again. Thank God for this group.

Lid49
Regular Contributor

Postby Lid49 » Tue May 22, 2018 9:10 pm

Hi
There are other places that you can go, no Dr can tell me surgery after one fmt. Go out of town MAYO, they have stand by doner there is a list with Dr also on the site for fmt procedures.
Lidia.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed May 23, 2018 12:56 am

I felt bad for a long time, but the Pepto kept it in check for me. I think seeing an ID is a good idea and the OpenBiome too. I would check with the doctor about continuing with Pepto. I took very little. I think the most I took was one teaspoon with each meal, so basically one dose a day because 3 teaspoons are about a tablespoon. Check with your doctor. I did not have the nausea except for about 4 or 5 days post FMT.

Return to “FMT Discussion”