Concerns 1 week post FMT

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
Zizel
New User

Concerns 1 week post FMT

Postby Zizel » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:27 pm

Quick history about my case... I was diagnosed with CDiff on Jan 3rd of this year, but prior to diagnosis I had most likely had it for about a month and had been taking Imodium to help the symptoms since we didn’t know what it was and I had been traveling. I completed one round of flagyl without any issues and then did three rounds of Vanco 125mg 4x daily. My last Vancomycin was last Tuesday March 6th I’m the morning and then I had my FMT via colonoscopy March 8th, but I was unable to hold it in once I awoke from the anesthesia.
My question is what kind of symptoms did you have following the procedure, and with post infectious ibs?
Ive definitely had an increase in energy, but have been having nausea, more gas then normal, and mush/diarrhea since the procedure. Some days I just have mush once and then I’m done for the day and then other days I’ll go multiple times a day. I truly hope I am not relapsing, but since I was not able to hold in the donor stool I am worried. I saw my doctors office today and sent in a sample to be sure of what it is and were hoping it’s just post infectious ibs.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Concerns 1 week post FMT

Postby NanciT » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:02 pm

Hello and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

First I want to mention there is a FMT thread where you will find lots of info, several have worried they did not hold it long and did just fine. It is not a something that often works immediately, there is still a recovery period and it takes time for everything to get back to "normal".
As far as testing, if you took Vanco on 3/6 I would imagine your test will be negative. Most don't test and if they do its weeks late if all symptoms and WD returns.
Give yourself some time and let this work, hopefully things will improve bit it can be a slow process
I had alot of nausea throughout CDIFF and a very long time Post CDIFF. I used "Sea Bands" which really helped
NanciT

Zizel
New User

Postby Zizel » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:44 pm

Hi Nanci thank you for the advise. I’ll make my way on over to that forum and see what other had experienced too. I hadn’t even heard of seabands before, but I will look into them! Where do you normally find them?

Risible
New User

Postby Risible » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:35 pm

Our stories are so similar, it’s eery! I started getting sick after a business trip the end of November. It got worse and worse until I went to the dr on Jan 3rd. Sample came back positive same day. Our timeline and histories are almost identical, down to the Flagyl and Vancomycin!

Anywhoo, I had my FMT on Tuesday (3 days ago), same thing- couldn’t hold it no matter how hard I tried. Even worse, no call button, all hooked up and couldn’t get anyone’s attention. I exploded all over the bed, myself, gown- and it wouldn’t stop.

So, I’m still running fevers (bouncing between 99-100.6), not in the least bit hungry, and feel horrible (this shall pass, I know). My dr has ordered another c-diff test and told me to watch for worsening symptoms. I don’t plan to take the test unless I continue being symptomatic after next week or get horribly worse.

Since I’m about a week behind you, I wanted to see how you were doing

Zizel
New User

Postby Zizel » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:08 pm

Hi! Sorry I didn’t see your post until recently, I’m definitely having good and bad days and every time I have stomach pain or nausea I panic. I’ve tested negative and hopefully will continue too! One thing that makes it more difficult to though is I’m actually pregnant now too so it’s hard to tell what is what. Hope you’re doing okay and recovering well!!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:14 pm

Z and R. Another welcome to the site.

You night have IBS. Symptoms may are similar to c diff. About one out of five develop it after c diff a even with an FMT. Have either of your doc mention increasing your fiber?

See CDI - IBS and CDI- three day rule.

Best of luck. Let us know how you are doing.

Zizel
New User

Postby Zizel » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:04 am

Hi Bobbie... I was actually getting ready to post today. I’m at my 8 week mark post FMT and I’m blaming this on pregnancy cravings but I had the overwhelming urge for terakyi wings... I was initially fine afterwords but then a few hours later had some mush and then that mucous stool this morning... so of course I’m know freaking out! Does that sound like what ibs could do though? I otherwise have felt fine and had normalish stools... my OB actually
Told me to add some fiber last week so I was going to try that today... sorry for the tmi but I figured this would be the best place to ask!... over the last 8 weeks too I had been eating mainly gluten free and bland so the Buffalo Wild Wings was a huge change.

Risible
New User

Postby Risible » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:22 am

I’m NOT pregnant and I’ve been craving guacamole every single day after getting my appetite back after FMT, and I’ve eaten it every day!

I’m about a week behind you and am getting better by the week. I was hit with a sinus infection (refused antibiotics) soon after FMT, which I think slowed down my progress, but definitely feel I’m on my way to full wellness.

I hope you continue to improve as well!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue May 01, 2018 1:18 am

Sauces tended not to agree with me. If you add fiber, do it with cooked vegetables, maybe some fruit like banana or apples. I would try not to have anything spicy or with sauces for a while.

Zizel
New User

Postby Zizel » Wed May 02, 2018 9:31 am

Hi Beth thank you for the response I definitely agree with that! I didn’t realize how much it would mess with everything.... I have on question that’s a little tmi but whenever you had something that messed with your stomach did mucus appear for a while? It’s definitey getting better but there is still just a lot of it.

Risible
New User

Postby Risible » Thu May 03, 2018 3:07 pm

Hi there c-diff twin.

I do have that issue when my stomach doesn’t like something.

I sometimes just take the hit (knowing the D will follow) simply because I can’t rid myself of the craving.

I’m about 2-3 day’s of D a week now which is WAY better than the first couple weeks after FMT.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri May 04, 2018 1:06 am

I get M after I have had D or also if I have had C with stools that were hard to pass. M just means that there is irritation usually.

Zizel
New User

Postby Zizel » Wed May 09, 2018 11:04 am

Hi Risible and Beth... thank you guys for helping out, and I guess I’m just going to have to remember all that as I try adding new foods. It’s definitely hard not to freak/worry over all the weird stools and stomach pangs. I’m going to have to keep that in mind with C too because I’m guessing that may start happening more and more with the pregnancy!

Return to “FMT Discussion”