Friday is 4 weeks, now fevers again

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
MrsM25
Regular Contributor

Friday is 4 weeks, now fevers again

Postby MrsM25 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:56 am

Friday will be 4 weeks since having my FMT done. Everything has slowly gotten better except all the sudden on Sunday, I got the low grade fevers back. Exactly the same thing I had the week after the FMT was done. They don’t get high, up to about 99.3 F but accompanied by body/muscle aches, fatigue and some slight nausea. This is EXACTLY what I had with the fevers after the FMT was done. It’s so confusing though because I have been having soft, formed BM’s 1-2 times a day the last 2 weeks or so since I started taking benefiber. I still have M with my BM’s but I’ve been brushing it off as just PI-IBS. No cramping or urgency like you would with a relapse. I would think it’s a virus or something but I have no other symptoms just like before. No stuffy/runny nose, no sore throat, no nothing. Can’t figure it out. I don’t know if it’s still my body adjusting to the FMT almost 4 weeks out? Or if I still have a low grade infection that isn’t giving me full blown D? It’s so confusing, and tiring. Sigh

beth11
Brand New Poster

Re: Friday is 4 weeks, now fevers again

Postby beth11 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:07 am

Hi MrsM25–It sounds like we’ve had a near identical experience (I am 3 weeks post FMT). I also had initial flu-like symptoms for three days immediately following FMT, then started to feel better. I had my first “flare-up” (repeat of debilitating body aches, low grade fever, cramping, diarrhea, chest pain/tightness) two weeks later, and then another this week. They each last about 12-24 hours, and then I’m left with lingering fatigue the next day. Wondering how you are doing and if you have figured anything out. My doctor felt that it was a strong immune reaction to the foreign body. He said I probably have a strong immune system because I’m young, but I’m not sure if that makes sense three weeks out. Also, I’m fairly sure my immune system is extremely run down after 6 months of c. diff. that I developed after taking clindamycin for mastitis, just one week post-partum! It’s been a rough 6 months—c. diff., lack of sleep,breastfeeding, and a bout of shingles in the midst of all of that. Maybe recurrence, but why the intermittent symptoms? With c. diff. I had mostly mucus/bloody stools, and I haven’t had that yet. I wondered about food intolerance as many on here have dealt with post infectious IBS and various intolerance, but my doctor didnt think I’d have aches and temp with that. I’m heading to Mayo next week and hoping to get help. I’m feeling so discouraged. Please let me know if you have made any progress.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:33 am

Hi Beth11 and welcome to the site. Please read the first forum for information for new posters.

I'm so sorry that you are still dealing with that. I did not have fevers after FMT, but I did have a lot of food intolerances. I'm not sure if it was the FMT or just being off vanco because in between relapses, I had problems too. Mayo is a good place and hopefully their team of doctors can put the pieces together and help you. Let us know how it goes there and what they say. Best of luck.

MrsM25
Regular Contributor

Postby MrsM25 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:48 am

Good morning Beth11! It sounds like you’ve been through the ringer!
I am currently 5 months post FMT. My initial flu like symptoms did eventually resolve. My experience with FMT was not easy. Through the entire process my doctor was insistent that he did not want to retest me because he said if I would come back positive he would be forced to treat me and he didn’t want to set me back because he was sure the FMT would work, it just needed time to “take hold.” The random fevers also eventually resolved. It was just a very slow process allowing my body to heal. I was hoping that I would be one of those people who felt great right away after FMT. No such luck. I also suffered from terrible PI-IBS. I kept a food journal in the beginning and I was very limited on what I could eat. It was a boring diet for awhile but I am happy to say that I am able to eat everything now except dairy. I still have issues with dairy but not all dairy, just certain things. I found that benefiber helped me in the beginning to sort of form things up for me more and I also had a lot of M in the beginning which the benefiber kind of helped with. I don’t have to take it anymore. The anxiety of relapse in the beginning was awful as well. I was terrified to do anything in the beginning. I was sure that if someone breathed on me the wrong way, I would get sick, need an antibiotic and relapse. Although I do still suffer from anxiety, that has gotten less severe with time. I really hope that things get better for you but I’m sure they will. It just takes time and everyone’s story is a little different but eventually you find the thing that kicks cdiff to the curb. Don’t be discouraged, I know it’s hard not to be but you will make it to the other side. Cdiff is seriously the hardest thing I’ve ever dealt with in my life. Praying for you.

beth11
Brand New Poster

Postby beth11 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:11 pm

Thanks for your responses beth22 MrsM25. It helps so much to hear from others who’ve been on this horrible journey. MrsM25, I really hope that I am on the path to recovery like you! I wish my doctors would have prepared me more for this type of reaction/outcome. I will post an update after my visit.

Thanks again,
Beth

MrsM25
Regular Contributor

Postby MrsM25 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:59 pm

My doctors didn’t really give me much info either. They gave me this instruction sheet after I was done. My doctor told me that I would have some IBS symptoms over the weekend and not to be alarmed and think I was relapsing (my FMT was on a Friday) so I expected to have some issues but not the fevers and the body aches and all. It truly felt like I was relapsing. Also, one of the worst pieces of advice my doctor gave to me was that I could return to a normal diet because my colon had looked good and not irritated during my colonoscopy while he did the FMT so I went home and ate some really bad things (onion rings and blueberries) lol! Not very good choices but I was just so ready to be a normal human again. I got so sick!! I can’t tell you how many times I called the on call line to my GI’s office because I felt like there was no way my FMT was working. I didn’t have a formed BM for a long time. I’m glad now my doctor made me stick it out and not re-test because eventually things mellowed out. The food journal was my best friend for a long time when my PI-IBS was really bad. I had to literally go back to the basics like noodles, mashed potatoes, rice, applesauce or white bread with no butter. As I started to add things, one of my favorite things to throw together was chicken bone broth, one of those rotisserie chickens that were already made from the grocery store, noodles and carrots and make a quick chicken soup. Bone broth is settling to the stomach. So is peppermint tea. I used the heating pad a lot too. I hope all of this helps!

Return to “FMT Discussion”