FMT failure?

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
Jess123
Brand New Poster

FMT failure?

Postby Jess123 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:33 am

I had an FMT placed about 2 weeks ago. In post op when waking up, I was told some fluid would escape- but a TON of fluid came out and after I was finally able to sit up after the hour there was fecal matter as well. This scared me so much because I’d obvioulsy done a prep before and was cleaned out. My dr had no answer and just said fluid was normal...
So my questions are:
1. Did anyone else have an experience like this.::it was so traumatic and I felt like it failed automatically
2. Symptoms of extreme gas, very soft stool, and possibly colitis have returned. Did anyone else have these type symptoms and not have c diff again?

Thank you for any information

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: FMT failure?

Postby NanciT » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:09 pm

Hello Jess123 and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

Yes, we have several on the site who were not able to hold and still have had success with an FMT.
If you read post here under this heading, you will find alot of posters who have FMT's still get the Post IBS. We don't have your history so do not know how long you were on medication, how many relapses you had and also that you took medication BEFORE the FMT.

Take a look under this thread

Wishing you the best
NanciT

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:45 am

Most posters had symptoms like yours after FMT , as you probably heard FMT doesn't work like a magic cure . it only cures infection but not a irritated bowel and also the gut needs some time to adjust with the new transferred flora. Have patience , eat bland and try a fiber supplement if you can tolerate it to feed your new bacteria and help them grow.

overit
Regular User

Postby overit » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:00 pm

Jess123,
I had a FMT about 18 months ago and was only able to hold it for about 45 min. I was cured by that FMT and have been healthy since then although it was about 6 months before I felt fully recovered.

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:20 pm

Hi, I had an FMT in March 2017 and did not "hold it in". I passed a lot of liquid stool soon after waking from my procedure. So I don't really know how long that was, but it had to be an hour or less. My procedure was successful. Yes, in theory, holding it in would be better. But my doctor who has an FMT clinic and does several procedures a week since 2013 says it doesn't make a difference in success rate. What's more important is that you eat prebiotic foods and have a diet to help nourish your new bacteria. People seem to have a wide variety of symptoms following an FMT. But the gas may be a sign you have new bacteria that are fermenting food in your colon. I just posted to someone else on here that doctors don't inform us enough about what to expect post procedure. We are all left wondering what is normal vs. not, and if we are experiencing signs of relapse. It's very stressful. It is good to determine your "safe foods", foods you know cause little upset, so you can return to them if you have unexplainable symptoms.

linnyg
Contributor

Postby linnyg » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:17 am

Had my first one a year ago tomorrow. I held it in for 48 hours, lol. It failed at the 6 1/2 week point.
I had my 2nd FMT 2 months later, and was only able to keep it in for maybe 3 hours. Im 10 months out now. I still have a few "off" days, and then, its only because I ate something that I shouldn't have. It is a long healing process. Stick to bland foods for as long as possible, and go easy when you introduce new foods. Some people lost it all in the recovery room and were cured- others, like me, held it in for days and it failed. I needed 2. I was so discouraged, but Im here and c diff free!!

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:18 pm

I am always amazed when people can remember post colonoscopies so well! I have little to no memory for about 4 hours post procedure so I have to ask my GI. I was told twice both FMTs I did not use the restroom there and my husband confirmed I went "a lot" upon returning home (30 min drive). I was never able to hold either past that point. Although the 1st failed, it was for different non cdiff related reasons. The 2nd one I still only held it for 30 min or so and it cured me. I am coming up on 9 months post FMT and happily cdiff free.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:29 pm

It's like sticking your hand Into a pot of paint!
When you take your hand out a lot of the paint drips off but you still have a decent coating of paint!

Return to “FMT Discussion”