Had my FMT today

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
Dani
New User

Had my FMT today

Postby Dani » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:00 pm

I had my FMT this morning. The prep was the hardest part for me as I haven’t had that amount of food let alone liquid in my body for over 3 months. I did vomit 1/2 the mix and had to start over on that part. I went in at 715am and was out my 900. My GI had me take 2 Imodium two hours before procedure and none after. He did not recommend taking probiotics and said for me to eat as I normally would. He also expected me to have some diarrhea today but not to worry about it.

MKW
Regular Contributor

Re: Had my FMT today

Postby MKW » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:12 pm

Hi, congratulations! And hope you have good results. My doctor also stated to not take probiotics. It is important to eat as many fruits and veggies or prebiotic foods as you can tolerate to feed your new donor bacteria.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:39 pm

Congrats. Most docs advise against taking probiotics but some recommend fiber to "feed" the new bacteria. (Probably why your doc recommended fruits and vegs.) There are a number of fiber supplements - Metamucil, Benefiber, Citracal. Check with your doc and a pharmacist and add fiber slowly.

Fingers crossed for you.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:29 am

I couldn't tolerate fruits and veggies after c diff and FMT. Start them slowly and see how you react.

Lid49
Regular Contributor

Postby Lid49 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:40 pm

Hi Dani, wish you the best and for the Fmt to work. There will be off days please do not give up.
Lidia.

Dani
New User

Re: Had my FMT today-update

Postby Dani » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:04 pm

I am 8 days post fmt and not feeling well. The first few days I started to feel better then day 5-6 I felt great and had a big appetite and lots of energy. Day 7-8 I feel tired, rapid heart rate and dull stomach ache which are symptoms of the start of relapse for me. Not sure if this is normal? Does it take awhile for the new good bacteria to over come the cdiff? I put a call into the GI to check. I know some people require more than one fmt.

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:11 pm

Hi Dani, people go through a lot of fluctuating symptoms after an FMT. I feel like doctors should counsel us more on what to expect. They focus on success rate alone. FMT's are a miracle for all of us for who it stops the recurrence cycle, but we sure do go through crazy GI symptoms afterwards for weeks to months. I wasn't informed much about what was "normal" vs. not following my procedure, and it seems most others are not either. Your best bet is to do as you've done... just inform your doctor of your symptoms and see what they say. Psychologically coping with the strange GI symptoms after an FMT is hard, because we just can't stop evaluating everything going on with our GI as a sign of relapse or not. I ended up with constipation after mine. Then at 4 weeks watery D and thought it was relapse but it was not. Someone on here said to me "there are a lot of bumps in the road" after an FMT and that's a good way to put it. You aren't going to likely just go uphill with stable improvement for a while. It's a lot of ups and downs before you achieve a stable state, and I do think it's due to our bodies adjusting to the new donor bacteria.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:57 am

Dani , what you describe doesn't sound like a relapse to me , it sounds more like anxiety or a panic attack.

Dani
New User

Postby Dani » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:00 pm

Hi Georgina, that’s what I thought with my last relapse it happened the 3 nights in a row prior and as soon as I relapse it goes away so I think it’s my body’s way of trying to fight off the cdiff until it takes over. But hoping it’s just anxiety at this point! I also have pain in my stomach but at least stools are still solid at this point. I guess I just have to wait it out. GI said some people take more than one fmt to be cured. So disheartening to have a few great days followed by the ick feeling coming back.

Return to “FMT Discussion”