Post FMT.

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
Napper
Regular User

Post FMT.

Postby Napper » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:24 pm

I had my FMT ON Dec. 8. So far, so good. My GI Dr. told me I didn't need to take probiotics. But, I feel I should just in case. Have anyone else continued with probiotics after their FMT?

Also, I'm having surgery on my toe in a few weeks. Should I be taking probiotics before the surgery? I tend to get infections, so am a little worried about needing to go on antibiotics.

Thanks for your help!

MKW
Regular Contributor

Re: Post FMT.

Postby MKW » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:40 pm

Hi! Congratulations you are doing well! The theory behind not taking probiotics is you don’t want unnatural bacteria to the GI tract (probiotics) competing with the bacteria that are the real deal and have a better chance of preventing c Diff recurrence.
My doctor and many other posters doctors recommend against probiotics for a few months post FMT.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:20 am

If your doctor doesn't want you to take probiotics you should listen to him . You already received the ultimate probiotic trough FMT , one that has the ability to implant and grow and second , as MKW said the unnatural bacteria that you get from a pill can compete with you new starter culture. The things you can do to help your new starter culture grow are eating healthy food that is easy to digest and taking a fiber supplement if your gut can tolerate it.

Napper
Regular User

Postby Napper » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:22 pm

Thank you for the info. Makes sense.

Jolene33
New User

Postby Jolene33 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:16 pm

Can you drink keifer still?

Return to “FMT Discussion”