Probable FMT

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
Napper
Regular User

Probable FMT

Postby Napper » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:30 pm

I just got home from muy 2nd ER visit since being released from the hospital a month ago after getting C Diff. I have been on VANCO since being released. Then the DR. wanted to taper me off. As soon as it went to 2X per day, I started with the D again. So, 2 trips to get rehydrated. This trip was a success in rusty the DR really listened and knew about c diff. He contacted the ID that I'm supposed to see on the 12th and was told to increase my Vanco again and see another GI Dr. hopefully this week. Looks like they want to do the FMT. While I'm relieved to hopefully be cured, I'm scared. I'd like to get this done and feel better by Christmas. What are my chances of that?
And can someone explain what this entails?

Thanks so much!!

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: Probable FMT

Postby georgina » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:13 am

Sorry you are having issues Napper , hope you start to feel better soon. It's great that your doctors have thought about a FMT , most doctors make you wait until your get more then 3 relapses to Ok the FMT.Not sure why you got scared though? FMT is done trough colonoscopy so basically the risks are minor and the same as for colonoscopy ,it won't hurt because you'll be sedate during the procedure , symptoms will most likely improve after you get it done, the only thing the will create discomfort is the prep. You should know that even though the FMT has a high cure rate is not a magic cure ,it cures the infection but not IBS so you won't bounce back as you were before , you will still need to eat bland and be patient as the healing takes time.

Napper
Regular User

Re: Probable FMT

Postby Napper » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:38 am

I HAVE been reading that people have had to wait for 3 relapses to get the FMT. I should be thankful my Drs are listening to me. As for being scared, I don't know why. Maybe because it's all new to me. I wouldn't know anything about this awful infection if it had not been for all of you. With that said, my Dr decided to try Dificid first, which I'm thankful for. Luckily I have met my out of pocket max with my insurance and the 20 pills were covered 100%. If not It would have been $4300!! Crazy! Now, I sit back and pray it works.

Return to “FMT Discussion”