2nd FMT recovery

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
Destin
Brand New Poster

2nd FMT recovery

Postby Destin » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:01 pm

I just had my second FMT by capsules. This one I would say was more of a success, but it's still too soon to tell. I went from having severe diarrhea the first day, to having no bowel movements (day 2) and normal movement day 3.

But the insides of my intestines still feel completely raw. I'm guessing I have residual inflammation going on. I've always had pretty bad irritable bowel syndrome since I was a child. If this abdominal pain continues, I'm going to ask about retesting for the c diff.

Right now I'm taking goodbelly probiotics. Drinking half a container each day. It has malted barley foodstuff in it which is supposed to be an excellent prebiotic.

My main concern is this abdominal pain. Usually after I start antibiotics it takes about 3 weeks for the abdominal pain to subside. I'm guessing it will be another 3 weeks til either I relapse, or know for certain whether the transplant worked.

Please wish me luck. I've had over 7 or 8 recurrences and have been sick for the past year with this infection. Every time I think I have it beat, it returns.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: 2nd FMT recovery

Postby NanciT » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:59 pm

I do hope this works foe you, give it time. You mentioned this is your second FMT, did you ever try Dificid?

Hopefully this will be the end of treatment, recovery can take some time especially if you were on antibiotics for months while trying to get rid of it

Wishing you the best!

NanciT

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:02 am

Try not to think about relapses and enjoy every moment of your good days and also try not to panic when you will have a "off" day , think positive , FMt worked.
Don't think about retesting unless the D return.Also , have you discussed with the doc who did the FMT if he is ok with you taking probiotics , doctors don’t recommend oral probiotics after FMT as they fear the pill bacteria will compete with the FMT bacteria and also because the patient received a superior probiotic that is capable to implant and grow , most doctors are indicating fiber supplements or high fiber food to feed the new bacteria.

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:02 pm

Hi Destin! I too had to have 2 FMTs (both via colonoscopy) and it took about a month for me to stop worrying every day about relapse. I still worry, and I have a lot of food intolerances/post infectious issues... BUT I am 4 months post 2nd FMT and still cdiff free. I think it is safe to say that it is under control/past the time for a relapse.
Just wanted to give you some hope. For some of us, it takes more than just 1 FMT. Hang in there and you can PM me anytime.

Mari3
Brand New Poster

Postby Mari3 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:26 pm

Hi Destin,

I had 2 FMT, one 4 days aio and one today. My doctor spesifically said “no probiotics”, as FMT is already a probiotic and it may create interference. She recommended vegetables and fruits, as your body allows it. Raw onion, leeks, garlic, asparagus, dandelion leaves. I am able to introduce onion and a bit od garlic, but the dandelion leaves did not go well with me yet.

Return to “FMT Discussion”