How long are you on antibiotics prior to FMT?

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
4horses
Brand New Poster

How long are you on antibiotics prior to FMT?

Postby 4horses » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:24 am

I tried taking FMT capsules to treat my recurrent c diff without success. Im wondering if perhaps the dose was not high enough or if we did not do a long enough pre-treatment with antibiotics?

We stopped the antibiotics 24 hours prior to the transplant and did a miralax bowel prep. I noticed the bowel prep really seemed to worsen my symptoms. It made my intestines feel raw.

I've also noticed a tendency to relapse when I get my period. That could be coincidental. Right now im on vancomycin again.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: How long are you on antibiotics prior to FMT?

Postby beth22 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:54 am

I had an NG tube transfer that did not work for me either. There were not pills at that time. Why did you have to do a laxative prep before taking pills? That is new to me. I thought the laxative prep was only before a colonoscopy or enema transfer. The time frame is right though - 24 hours before is generally when you stop with the antibiotics.

Have you tried Dificid? Many have been successful with it after failing with vanco and it also kills less good bacteria. You might want to ask your doctor about it.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:55 am

I also had a nasogastric transplant witch was not successful , the doc wanted me to do a bowel cleanse before the transfer but didn't wanted me to take a course of vanco. The transplant failed after 7 months.
If you are deciding to go for another FMT , go for the colonoscopy FMT , it is the gold standard and also make sure that your doctor gives you a full course of meds to destroy the pathogenic bacteria so that your new starter culture will have a chance to survive and multiply.

amg
Regular Contributor

Postby amg » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:20 pm

Hi there,

You mention relapsing when you get your period. It is important to make sure you're actually relapsing and not just having post-infectious irritable bowel syndrome flares. Menstrual periods are an extremely common trigger for IBS flares - my daughter went through that, and a couple of times early on we, too, thought she had a relapse but it wasn't.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:05 pm

As Amg said, it is well known that IBS often flares during menstruation. I have dealt with that my whole life and was told that early on so pay attention to what she told you.

Return to “FMT Discussion”