FMT Pills vs Colonoscopy

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
Times2
Brand New Poster

FMT Pills vs Colonoscopy

Postby Times2 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:35 am

I contracted C. Diff in May after a colonoscopy - which is from what I discovered after the procedure, a potential risk of both using the bowl prep and the procedure itself.

I've gone 1 round with Flagyl with no success. I know many of you have had 4-5 occurrences before you went for a FMT, so my first question would be, is it too soon to give it a go? I had such a hard time on Flagyl - my kidneys were not happy - and I just hate the thought of going on a new antibiotic only to have it potentially not work.

My doctor is a provider of OpenBiome, and according to their website they administer FMT's through a series of 30 pills taken in close succession at the doctor's office. I can't seem to find many examples of people using pills for a transplant on this site of people. Most of you seem to have used the colonoscopy method, which I am also trying to avoid at all costs. So are there any oral FMT users out there? Has anyone had success with it?

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: FMT Pills vs Colonoscopy

Postby NanciT » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:25 am

Hello Times2 and Welcome to the site Please read the first forum for all new posters

Unfortunately, so many Gi's still start with Flagyl and its so difficult to take. The next medication tired is usually Vancomycin which has worked for a great deal of people on this board.
As far as going directly to an FMT, I am unsure and have found that is different for most GI's. Where I am, all the GI's I have seen and also worked with follow the FDA restriction of 3 failed medication attempts prior to FMT. This does differ so it would be up t you and your GI. Most will also have a patient on medications prior to FMT.

The FMT pills were put on hold there for awhile, I am not sure of the current status. Maybe someone else on the board can jump in here. I do believe we did have a poster a few years back that did take them but I don't recall the results.

NanciT

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:50 pm

Hi, I had an FMT done by colonoscopy in March. In my area (Virginia) FMT's are only done at a few teaching hospitals. The physician who performed mine follows the FDA recommended guidelines of three positive tests. I don't know much about the pills, except during a phone conversation with the RN at the FMT clinic recently she stated to me they had "applied" to be a testing site for Openbiomes oral capsules and were hoping to be able to offer that. So, I'm guessing your doctor is already an approved provider for openbiome capsules. If it were me, I would try the oral capsules if they were available. Hopefully there is some recent data on safety that you could review first.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:30 am

There have been people who took capsules and the danger of that is to get an overgrowth of bacteria in the small intestine (SIBO). A few posters had problems afterwards and terrible IBS. I would discuss this with your doctor. I had upper route by NG tube and upper endoscopy and I would not do it again because the SIBO was worse than the c diff.

Lovelove
New User

Postby Lovelove » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:23 am

Dr Kamrava in Beverly Hills is my amazing Dr ,he does the pills and enemas. All his treatments have been successful plus he is very personable, wonderful Dr.

Hope that helps :)

Return to “FMT Discussion”