How long did you hold it? FMT

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
kanak
New User

How long did you hold it? FMT

Postby kanak » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:54 am

Hello all. I had my FMT today. I was abLe to hold it about 2 and a half hours, there was just no stopping it. I feel so disappointed. It's several hours later and I'm fighting the urge to go again. Can it still be successful for such a short retention time?
Thank you
Amy

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: How long did you hold it? FMT

Postby georgina » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:10 am

Of course it will be successful , 2 hours is more then enough . Some of our posters could keep the slurry no more then 1 hour and did fine.

kanak
New User

Postby kanak » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:30 am

Thank you Georgina, I can use all the reassurance I can get. Like most, I've battled this beast a long time. Hoping some who've had an FMT would let me know how long is long enough.

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:47 am

Hi, I had my first FMT march 2nd and am still CDiff free. At best I held it in an hour. Try not to focus too much on this aspect. I worried so much about my "failure" to hold it in unnecessarily. Your chances of success now can be helped by your current diet and habits. High fiber, low sugar. Follow all the instructions your doctor gave you.

overit
Regular User

Postby overit » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:11 pm

I was only able to hold it in about 40 minutes. Then I had to go again after about 2 hours. That time was long enough for me. I tested negative 3 months later and have been cured for a year.

linnyg
Contributor

Postby linnyg » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:21 am

Has my first FMT February 2nd, held it in for a whopping 40 plus hours. I felt amazing until the 7 week point, and it failed. I had my 2nd one April 12, and I kept it in for about 2 hours. I just hit the 8 week mark. Feeling pretty good still, with the occasional "bad day", especially if I eat something I should not. There have been some patients who lose it in the recovery room and did fine. Best wishes to you!

Gab08
Brand New Poster

Postby Gab08 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:48 pm

Hello Everyone:

I am new to the forum. I am a female aged 52 with a history of IBS-D. I began experiencing symptoms of C Diff on 1/31/17. I was not diagnosed until 3/3/17 via a colonoscopy. By that time I had psuedomembranous colitis. I then relapsed at least 3 times after multiple rounds of Vancomycine.

Fast forward, I had an FMT via colonoscopy on 7/6/17. I have really been worried because I don't think I held "it" too long. Probably less than an hour. I had diarrhea about 3 times before taking my own Lomotil I had brought with me. Other than the diarrhea, I have had loss of appetite, severe abdominal pain, gas, and some rectal bleeding. Pelvic pain has always been a hallmark of C Diff for me and I have had lots of that too. I am only able to eat bland, light food.

From what I have been reading here, it's impossible to tell if this will be successful based on holding time. My doctor says the first time there is only about an 80% chance of recovery. Has anyone else heard this?

I was really sad to hear this as I thought the success rate was much higher. The thought of going through this again is unthinkable. I lost a job because of C Diff and can't lose another.

Thank you all for being here. I've been through this journey alone until finding this site.
Best!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:57 pm

Hello Gab08 and welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

There are so many on this site that have had great success with FMT's. Give it time, it can take awhile but hopefully this will be the answer for you. We have no treatment that is 100%, this really is one of the best treatment options!

Wishing you the best!

NanciT

Gab08
Brand New Poster

Postby Gab08 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:03 am

Thanks so much NanciT! I have learned so much since joining this site! I wish I can found it sooner. Yes, I am not sure why the doctor said 80% cure rate the first time for an FMT. It just scares me that I might have to do this all over again, which would mean having to take off work. I lost a job due to C Diff. It was cruel.

I have noticed that 5 days in now, I am eating more. First several days I could eat nothing.

Best!

DrMike
Contributor

Postby DrMike » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:21 pm

Honesty, not ten minutes. There was still a lot of bowel prep.

Then, under great discomfort and Imodium, I held it for another four. More slightly greenish/clear liquid. A lot of it. And then one more, but this one had actual stool. I kinda wanted to cry, I was so tired of diarrhea.

I just had a solid one this morning. The nightmare is ending.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:09 pm

Dr. Mike,
Sounds promising. Hold on.

n0rs0n
New User

Postby n0rs0n » Thu May 03, 2018 9:03 am

I had the FMT March 28 - and am doing OK - even though I thought I had lost it all and would need a redo the next day. 8-) Then I remembered the doc kept me in that room for 40 mins AFTER the procedure - to the transplant had that much time to "set" - perhaps that info will help others.

Return to “FMT Discussion”