"Banked" Stool vs. "Donor" Stool for FMT ?

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
cnatra
Contributor

"Banked" Stool vs. "Donor" Stool for FMT ?

Postby cnatra » Tue May 30, 2017 8:38 pm

So with an FMT for C Diff do the FDA guidelines treat banked stool differently than stool from a known screened donor ?

I'm curious because I've talked with 3 GI docs now and each one alluded to a different plan if FMT was the next step. One said we would screen a family member for donor stool .

The second one is tied in with a researcher (Dr. Herbert DuPont) here in Houston and they use banked stool via colonoscopy , enema or even capsules sometimes.

Yet a 3rd doc told me banked stool (like OpenBiome) was still considered experimental for a C Diff FMT and I would have to use a known screened donor.

Thanks for any insight !!

cnatra
Contributor

Re: "Banked" Stool vs. "Donor" Stool for FMT ?

Postby cnatra » Wed May 31, 2017 3:00 pm

Nobody ??

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed May 31, 2017 3:39 pm

FDA allow an FMT to be done only as a last resort and only to treat relapsing c.diff.
For any other condition a Dr has to seek FDA permission to proceed and as far as I know it's always denied.
Their regs say the doner must be known personaly by the patient and/or the doctor
Stool banks are a gray area that are operating outside the FAD guidelines.
You literally have to sign a contract that if anything goes wrong it's your own fault and that you are aware it's experimental.
FMT pills have almost disappeared for the last 6 months and there's no reason given other than the labs being decorated.
If you believe that it's up to you but add it to your Santa list and watch out for the tooth fairy!
If I needed an FMT I would prefer using someone I know and have them screened.
Only delivery method I would accept would be by colonoscopy.

cnatra
Contributor

Postby cnatra » Wed May 31, 2017 9:05 pm

Thanks Roy

I agree on colonoscopy being best method for FMT for highest chance of success.

Pills seem to risky IMHO. (SIBO risk or worse)

GI I met with today prefers OpenBiome over donor.
He thinks OpenBiome's screening is better than what can be found locally in most cases.

I think we're probably going to try a tapered dose of Dificid first though.

linnyg
Contributor

Postby linnyg » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:35 am

I used a family member for my first colonoscopy delivered FMT. My immediate family were not suitable donors, so my 18 year old nephew did it. I am adopted, so he wasn't a blood relative, although that does not matter. It failed after 7 weeks. I really think it was a combo of the fact I had been sick with c diff for 6 months, and that he probably did not have the best diversity going on, because he is still a high schooler....although I have no proof of that. He had the normal screening done- bloodwork, medical history and stool tests.

My GI's practice prefers to use a known donor, but if the patient does not have one, or in case of a failed FMT from a known donor, they go with Openbiome.

My doctor told me that Openbiome's testing is even stricter than what the FDA requires, especially when it comes to prior antibiotic use, a history of depression and the donors must have a very low BMI. She calls it "smart poop", since many of the donors are MIT students, lol.

As far as it being classified as experimental, my insurance company is a pain in the butt and have paid for 2, lol. Probably because it's cheaper than Dificid.

I just hit the 7 week point today, and knock on wood, Im feeling pretty fantastic, considering how sick I had been. I've had a few off days that scared me, but I just had my first negative c diff test since last August.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:46 am

Locally, the hospitals use OpenBiome and you do not have a choice. When I had my FMT done (more than one) OpenBiome did not exist yet and my GI did it at an endoscopy center. The hospitals were not doing them at that time. I used my husband as a donor the first time, but I did not have a very good reaction. I did get SIBO. My second donor was my daughter and I had very few IBS side effects after using her as a donor. Maybe because she is a blood relative. Some research indicates that with blood relatives, people experience less IBS. Not sure enough is known about it. I think OpenBiome does screen more stringently, but I know my daughter and my husband and I know their lifestyles, allergies, etc. If I had no donor, I would use OpenBiome. But, if I did, I would use my own. Those are just my own preferences.

cnatra
Contributor

Postby cnatra » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:54 pm

just saw these posts , THX

Return to “FMT Discussion”