2nd FMT questions

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
Zapper
Regular Contributor

2nd FMT questions

Postby Zapper » Thu May 25, 2017 8:06 pm

Hi all,
Had my 2nd FMT today via colonoscopy. I was able to hold "it" in for almost 2 hours.. then a small watery bm. Then held it again for another 3 hours. But now I am going a lot... like a lot. Again, similar to colon prep with the almost incontrollable start and very watery.
I do not feel sick. Just keep having to go. I asked my doc before the FMT how long to expect this but he said 24-72 hours there will be a wide array of symptoms.

Anyone from personal experience can tell me how long to expect this watery D? Again no sick feeling, no pain. I think it's just the transplant coming out but I guess I was under the impressing after 4 Imodiums it would have firmed up a bit.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Re: 2nd FMT questions

Postby amyc » Fri May 26, 2017 2:02 am

Imodium slows down the gut but it won't bulk or firm up your stool. I would call to see how many Imodium you can safely take just to slow things down so you can get some rest.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri May 26, 2017 8:45 am

Yeap , you need to get some relief , Immodium or Lomotil should help slow down the D.

sophie
Regular Contributor

Postby sophie » Fri May 26, 2017 2:43 pm

Hi Zapper - I can't add anything, but wondering how you're doing. I'm focusing positive thoughts for a good recovery for you.

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Fri May 26, 2017 4:08 pm

Thank guys. Sophie, I am doing ok I think. I'm so weary.. I don't want to jinx anything by saying I'm ok. Haha...
there is that good ol c diff fear talking!
I haven't had bm since about midnight. So 13 hours... seems promising. I've only eaten 1 scrambled egg and working up the guts to try to eat again.
I am so fearful to upset my stomach. I just want the FMT to work.
I'll most likely be trying some bland chicken tonight. I will continue to update.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat May 27, 2017 1:36 am

Sometimes those laxative preps keep on working. It happened to me too. Hopefully, you will feel better tomorrow.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sat May 27, 2017 9:42 am

Glad you feel better and your appetite is back. Seems to me that this FMT has done the trick , now you just have to be patient and let your gut heal. You can also add some rice or baked potatoes to your chicken dinner.

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Sat May 27, 2017 2:49 pm

I am really having a difficult time with mental issues on this recovery.
I think I'm ok.. I still have yet to have a bm. I successfully ate chicken last night and had a plain pancake this morning. But mentally I am terrified I am going to eat something to upset my stomach.
My husband isn't understanding of this. I don't know what to eat... I've been told low fiber from my doc but then I read it's suggested to eat high fiber.
I'm starving but scared. Is it safe to say if I feel ok after 48 hours that I'm recovering??

midway
New User

Postby midway » Sat May 27, 2017 4:26 pm

I never reached the point of an FMT, but it may take a more typical amount of time to truly decide if it's working… Like a week or two. But you're off to a great start if your bowels have already slowed down!

I wanted to speak to your diet questions. I had a ton of uncertainty during my recovery as well! There is a lot of contradicting information out there. I have generally heard that you should keep to bland foods at first, and fatty meats/broths are also good to help heal your gut. As you can start to tolerate it, fiber is also good for your diet because it helps feed your good bacteria. Along those lines, any probiotic foods that you can tolerate will also help.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat May 27, 2017 5:08 pm

Fiber is good if you tolerate it. If it gives you D, like it did for me, then introduce it slowly, good bacteria or no good bacteria. If you get D, then you will just be washing out some of that good bacteria. You are doing the right thing introducing foods slowly.

Davidtm
Regular Contributor

Postby Davidtm » Sat May 27, 2017 5:21 pm

I have heard mixed things of what to do afterward. Some people benefit from a bland diet and others can tolerate a lot of things. I was told by my fmt gi to eat as I would normally and only to avoid alcohol, overly spicy, high sugar, and if I can't tolerate dairy. He said all of those things might cause problems to a healing gut. I babied my stomach this whole time since last May but after my last fmt I just ate as normal as I could. Had some good days and had some bad days. Best to follow your Drs advice. I've heard however that fiber is good for the good bacteria. But too much fiber too soon can cause issues for some.
I know the anxiety of waiting and wondering is a hard part of this so I hope you can find some ease of that. Don't be afraid to eat good healthy food. We are not quite at the greasy pizza just yet but there are a lot of good options found in the nutrition section here. really rooting for you!

sophie
Regular Contributor

Postby sophie » Sat May 27, 2017 5:43 pm

Hi Zapper,
Again I don't have answers to your questions but I do understand the anxiety you are going through. I'm sure you're husband just wants the best for you and doesn't fully understand the fear of food that we all go through during this horrible illness.
I just re-read the notes after your first FMT - it looks like you are doing so much better this time. Take everything one day at a time, full recovery doesn't happen overnight. I'm glad you are doing ok today!

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Sun May 28, 2017 1:14 am

Big baked potatoes, add a little butter, and lots of salt. Yummy. A little grated sharp cheddar or Manchego cheese on top adds flavor and calcium.super easy to digest, very filling, and potatoes make me happy. Pancakes are great too, and blueberries are in season and delicious now, so put some in the batter before cooking. Delicious, nutritious, cooking the fruit makes it easy to digest. Look up simple recipes for maple roasted carrots. Find a recipe for chicken pot pie. Use a store-cooked rotisserie chicken to make the "filling," then bake canned biscuits for your husband so he can have biscuits along side for "crust."

But I would start with big baked potatoes. Scrub, poke with a fork, put right on oven rack at 375 for an hour or until soft. Add a slice of crumbled crisp bacon for flavor to the second one.

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Sun May 28, 2017 11:58 am

Hi, as far as eating, you need to find a source of fiber to feed the good newly introduced bacteria so they can thrive. Supposedly, slightly still green bananas are good. My first week after FMT, I ate bananas and steamed asparagus. Just try to find at least one source you can tolerate. Look up prebiotic foods online. Also, for me, once the Immodium shut down my bowel activity, I ended up not having a bowel movement for days and got severely constipated. So just keep in mind, it is possible you could go in the other direction, which can be problematic also (especially if you haven't had to use those pushing muscles for longer than you can remember!), so this is another reason to find a fiber source that agrees with you.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon May 29, 2017 5:52 am

I think your doctor suggested a low fiber diet because of your D issues , until your gut calms down a bit . Stick to safe food for a few days and then reintroduce one new food at the time. For now ,good sources of fiber that won't upset your gut you can find in: applesauce or baked apples , bananas and cooked rice , potatoes , zucchini , carrots .

Return to “FMT Discussion”