What is "normal" after an FMT?

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
MJean
Brand New Poster

What is "normal" after an FMT?

Postby MJean » Mon May 08, 2017 2:27 pm

I had an FMT last Thursday. I was only able to retain it for 2 hours before it all came out with the colonoscopy prep remnants. Friday and Saturday I had horrible constipation, Sunday things started to shift. By last night and this morning, I truly felt like the C Diff had returned with D, mucous and frequency/urgency, chills. The nurse this am said it's not uncommon to have colitis symptoms after FMT for weeks (and months in some cases) that mimic C Diff, but it may not still be the C Diff. I feel like I'm pretty good at identifying C Diff so I'm apprehensive to go with that theory. I was also told to see if symptoms persist and the soonest they would retest is Wednesday.

Can others tell me if this trajectory sounds familiar? I can't bear to think the FMT has failed.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: What is "normal" after an FMT?

Postby beth22 » Mon May 08, 2017 9:59 pm

You really can't tell for sure unless you re-test, but bms will be all over the place. I would do the re-test just to see what you are dealing with. Sometimes people can pick up a different infection from FMT, but it is rare. However, it has happened, so if you re-test, maybe test for other pathogens via a stool culture. One person even got parasites, but I think it was an untested donor that she used.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue May 09, 2017 12:24 am

It is common to have nasty symptoms for awhile , after FMT , until your body adjusts with the new bacteria , however symptoms should not be aggressive. If you are having frequent D , you should ask to be tested. Beth gave you good advice about testing for other pathogens as well.

Davidtm
Regular Contributor

Postby Davidtm » Tue May 09, 2017 2:50 pm

I've thought I was relapsing or starting to relapse so many times post fmt. It's really hard to tell the difference and the only difference is that when it is c diff it doesn't seem to let up and always got worse over time for me. One poster was only having d after an fmt for weeks and testing negative. Some people get lucky and feel great after fmt and others have lingering issues for a long time. Hopefully you will start to see improvement and have more good days!

Return to “FMT Discussion”