New Here, FMT Today

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
MJean
Brand New Poster

New Here, FMT Today

Postby MJean » Thu May 04, 2017 10:38 pm

Hello, just stumbled across this board. I had a FMT this afternoon after repeated failures with Vanco for C Diff since January. My question is this...I was only able to hold in the sample for about 2 hours before I kinda began cleaning out again, similar to what I was doing just before the procedure with the colonoscopy prep. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: New Here, FMT Today

Postby Bobbie » Thu May 04, 2017 11:57 pm

Many "lose" much of the transfer but enough remains so it works. One yong poster held it for 15 minustes - and then was "cured." Others do not have a miracle recovery,

Did your doc suggest using Imodium sparingly? Did he/she mention adding fiber to your diet to "feed"" the new good bacteria? Probiotics are usually a "no no" because they compete with the new good bacteria but ask your doc.

Some docs advise you to lie on your left side for 15 min and rub your stomach gently in a clockwise direction. Turn to your stomach, right side, and back and do the same thing. Usually this is done with home infusions but it is worth a try.
Do run this by your doc.

Am afraid only "time will tell." I understand how you feel as do the others on this site. Keep us posted.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: New Here, FMT Today

Postby georgina » Fri May 05, 2017 12:46 am

I think that 2 hours is more then enough for the infusion to be successful , there were many posters on this site who couldn't keep the slurry more then 1 hour and their transplant was successful. As Bobbie said , do not expect overnight healing , even with successful FMT you will still be dealing with IBS symptoms that will only subside in time. Try to eat as normal as you can but within reason , stay away from alcohol , junk food , sweets , and dairy if you are lactose intolerant. A fiber supplement should help your new bacteria grow but don't take too much as it might not sit well , take a small amount at first to see how your gut responds to it.

Return to “FMT Discussion”