Not sure if my improvement is due to FMT, fiber pills, or both?

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
STS-0
Regular User

Not sure if my improvement is due to FMT, fiber pills, or both?

Postby STS-0 » Thu May 04, 2017 11:32 am

So I'm at day 7 post-FMT now. Beginning yesterday, I began getting mostly solid stools. However, they are not what I would call 'formed' -just pieces, and for the most part they break apart easily. However, I'm not sure if this is due to my actual condition improving, or due to the Benefiber pills I've been taking (two pills with each meal). The stool is definitely the color of the fiber pills, but it also seems like the few measly fiber pills I've been taking couldn't possibly bulk up the amount of stool that's coming out of me. I've also been still getting significant cramping, especially in my right side of my colon and rectum.

If I still have CDI, would the fiber pills be able to firm up the stool, or would it be watery D regardless of the fiber pills?

roy
Administrator

Re: Not sure if my improvement is due to FMT, fiber pills, or both?

Postby roy » Thu May 04, 2017 11:40 am

You could swallow a whole bottle of fibre pills and c.diff would still give you D.
If only it was as simple as fibre pills to stop c.diff symptoms!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri May 05, 2017 2:09 am

Fiber pills give me D. Before c diff, I used to be C and the doctor suggested fiber pills. Even with only one, I would get cramping and D. Might as well have taken a laxative. Not everyone has that reaction, but it is a possibility. You are taking a good amount.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri May 05, 2017 6:02 am

Your improvement is definitely a result of successful FMT , fiber acts as a prebiotic helps to grow your new bacteria and also works by absorbing water in your gut but also but it will never reduce irritation or slow down fast transit.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat May 06, 2017 2:42 pm

I would cut back a little on Benefiber. I take two tsp morning and night. If I have diarrhea I cut back.

Glad you are improving.

STS-0
Regular User

Postby STS-0 » Wed May 10, 2017 10:11 am

I did an experiment and did not take ANY fiber pills yesterday, and today my stools have been extremely, extremely loose, borderline watery. Contrary to what everybody was suggesting, it was definitely the fiber pills that was making them solid.

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Wed May 10, 2017 11:29 am

Hi STS-0, everyone's doctor seems to have a different opinion and recommendations post-FMT. I had an FMT done close to 10 weeks ago. My doctor recommends Metamucil for people who have trouble with D post-FMT, because she says it will help firm stool. So generally my doctor has found the fiber supplements help with the post-FMT D that some people experience. She has been running an FMT clinic for 4 years and does several procedures a week. However, she does not recommend a fiber supplement otherwise or for C, and prefers for people to be getting all of their fiber from natural food sources with a diet of 70% fruits and vegetables.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed May 10, 2017 1:46 pm

It's very individual but WHATEVER works is good!

STS-0
Regular User

Postby STS-0 » Wed May 10, 2017 10:35 pm

Yeah, I'm definitely back to all watery D. It's been two weeks since my FMT now. I think the FMT failed.

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Wed May 10, 2017 11:08 pm

Hi, I am sorry to hear you are thinking this. You need to get tested to know for sure, and to come up with a plan. Hospital labs are the fastest way. You can get results within hours, not days. It just seems for many people it takes more than one for the needed levels of good bacteria to re-establish. We are all pretty damaged by the time FMT's are recommended or we meet the requirements. Make sure to stay hydrated, it is so important.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu May 11, 2017 12:06 am

Sorry to hear you are having issues , hopefully it is just a bad IBS flare ,call your doctor and ask to be tested.

STS-0
Regular User

Postby STS-0 » Thu May 11, 2017 10:55 am

Yeah I submitted my stool sample this morning. Hopefully it will be back in a day or so, ugh. If C. Diff is back, should I go on a Vanco taper or 2 weeks of Dificid? I always have AMAZING results with Vanco, but Dificid never seemed to make any difference whatsoever -but I'm not sure if that was due to the Dificid being ineffective or the drug itself wreaking havoc on my colon. The only reason I'd even consider Dificid again is because it supposedly kills less of the good bacteria...and since I just had an FMT, hopefully SOME of the good bacteria are still in there?

Still...I just want to take Vanco and feel well again, grrr. Maybe a Vanco taper would work? But if I do have good bacteria from the FMT, I want to keep them there. Ugh, such a difficult decision.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Thu May 11, 2017 6:08 pm

Maybe a course of vanco followed by another FMT?

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri May 12, 2017 12:01 am

Hopefully you are feeling better today , crossing fingers that the test will come back negative.If GOD FORBID , test is positive again I would go on a Dificid course followed by another FMT .There more I stayed on the vanco , the more damage to the gut I've done , more food intolerances , if I would've had the opportunity to try Dificid I would have done a long course of it. Maybe a two week course of Dificid will be better for you as it is far superior to Vanco .

Return to “FMT Discussion”