FMT next week! Need advice

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
STS-0
Regular User

Re: FMT next week! Need advice

Postby STS-0 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:51 am

I've actually found that sitting up and bending over helps me. Evidently I still have some donor stool in there because a little came out this morning, and I've been diligently holding the rest in since. A lot easier since the Imodium is still working. Trying to hold it in for 24 hours.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:36 am

Had to smile it this one.
"Evidently I still have some donor stool in there because a little came out this morning,"
Was it the accent it spoke in or the smell of roses that identified it as doner stool?
Sorry!

STS-0
Regular User

Postby STS-0 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:25 am

LOL! Well I wasn't going to go into detail, but....I sure wish MY stool smelled like that!!!

I just got rid of the last of it, I think. I couldn't hold it anymore. I was able to hold that last bit for 23 hours. (It amazes me that it can still be liquid after almost a day?) Hope it did some good! Been eating grilled chicken, gluten free pasta, streamed cauliflower, and taking Metamucil fiber pills to help the good guys.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:03 pm

It's like seeding a lawn. Birds get most of it but you still end up with lots of grass!
23 hours is a lot more than what most people do and the liquid was probably yours, not the fmt.

STS-0
Regular User

Postby STS-0 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:55 pm

Well I know I had at least a little of the donor stool in there, because I had another urge to go while I was at the hospital after the first movement came out, but was able to retain it the second time because of the Imodium. I did not go again until 23 hours later. The nurse also said that not as much came out as went in, so I'm certain that the remainder didn't just disappear.

Tsc1964
Regular Contributor

Postby Tsc1964 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:20 am

Thats what i do Bobbie on my home infusions . I elevate my bottom with 4 pillows legs up against wall left sife, back, right side. I take Imodium before jus 2 an each time hold it a day. Hope its benefitting me. Doing weekly for month

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:32 am

The FMT is liquid when they put it in, so it is liquid when it comes out. When I did FMT enemas, same thing.

STS-0
Regular User

Postby STS-0 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:34 am

Well it's morning 2 after my FMT...and I had solid stool! It was very, very mushy and thin, and it was followed ten minutes later by D. But I didn't have solid stool the entire time I was on Dificid, so I take it as a good sign!

Been trying to eat a reasonable amount of fiber. Hopefully it's helping the good guys.

I also started having lots of gas yesterday. (I knew it was good news when I started passing the gas, because it was NOT followed by a bowel movement.) I assume this is either due to the fiber or re-colonization of the good guys.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:57 pm

The gas was probably the air they pump in during a colonoscopy, it stretches the colon to make it easier to put the tubes up.
Few hours ago it sounded like there was an Elephant in my room!

STS-0
Regular User

Postby STS-0 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:29 pm

Haha, that's possible as well, though my Doc says they suction most of it out and that they use CO2, which supposedly is sticky absorbed by the body.

Either way, I would never have been able to pass has without having a bowel movement following it last week.

STS-0
Regular User

Postby STS-0 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:06 pm

Ugh, at the afternoon of day 2 post FMT, I'm back to completely watery D. I'm so disappointed after the one semi solid BM I had this morning! Does that mean it failed?

linnyg
Contributor

Postby linnyg » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:34 pm

Your bm's will be all over the place for a while. I know it is so scary, though. I had my 2nd FMT on April 12 and had bad D last weekend. I was frantic and afraid. It's easy to do. My doctor won't test me until Im a month out anyway, so I have to be patient. Give it the 3 day rule, and possibly keep a food journal. Im finding a pattern, and I am eliminating (no pun intended) foods that seem to set me off. IBS c and d is very common for a while.

STS-0
Regular User

Postby STS-0 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:37 pm

I'm concerned because I've only had one sort of solid BM since the FMT. The rest have been watery D or at best very very very very loose. I'm afraid I'm pooping out all of the good bacteria.

Is it normal to have really STRONG colon contractions post FMT?

linnyg
Contributor

Postby linnyg » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:56 pm

Honestly, I don't think there really is a "normal" after FMT. Every single person responds differently. My first FMT was in February, and my recovery in the days after was entirely different than this one. I kept it in for 45 hours. had zero pain, zero cramping, it was pretty fantastic, actually. Then, I got severely constipated for a week or so after.
This time, I only kept it in for about 2 hours. I passed some liquid when I first got home, then again that night. I had some cramping and pain, and that concerned me, but I was told that could happen. The D I had last weekend (which would have been at the 11 day mark) was super bad and the pain was incredible. But, I was fine the next day. If it is painful, maybe a call to your doctor is in order.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:58 am

How much fiber are you taking? Fiber gives me D, even before c difficile.

Return to “FMT Discussion”