FMT next week! Need advice

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
STS-0
Regular User

FMT next week! Need advice

Postby STS-0 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:47 pm

YES! I'm being worked in for an FMT next week. I am currently on Dificid, but I am still having D, and because of this my doctor feels comfortable administering the FMT.

How many days after I finish the Dificid should I wait for the FMT?

Davidtm
Regular Contributor

Re: FMT next week! Need advice

Postby Davidtm » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:56 pm

Congrats on getting an fmt scheduled. They have the most success. When I had my fmts I stopped antibiotics 2 days before the procedure. I would ask your Dr if they have a guideline for you to follow but I've always heard people say stop meds 1-2 days before the procedure. Good luck!!

overit
Regular User

Postby overit » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:14 pm

Great news! The FMT cured me! I was advised to stop Difficid 48 hours prior to FMT. Talk to your doctor about their protocol. Best of luck!

STS-0
Regular User

Postby STS-0 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:23 pm

I cannot wait! I have high hopes for this. Does anybody know if there are any good foods to eat post procedure to help the good bacteria 'seed?'

Davidtm
Regular Contributor

Postby Davidtm » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:58 pm

The post fmt diet recommendations seems to vary dr to dr. I was told just to resume a normal diet without any special considerations. Some Drs on the other hand suggest a diet with good amounts of fiber to feed the good bacteria. I avoid alcohol and sweets and make sure to eat healthy. Some Drs say no probiotics some say yes. Mine was no. I would definitely ask these questions to them and see if they have their patients follow anything specific.

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:45 pm

Congratulations! I had an FMT done 7 weeks ago and have had mostly great days and only a few bad since. It's not perfect but I am way better than after Flagyl or Vanco. I feel "well" and healthy. I also know I still have a chance of recurring and it is common for people to need more than one to pull out of this... but I also know I have healed a lot during this time. The great thing about the effects of the procedure is that for most people they have immediate improvement.
I was on Vanco preceding mine and took my last dose 48 hours before the procedure. Also, my doctor recommended a diet of 70% fruits and vegetables (to provide fiber to feed the colon bacteria) and only probiotic foods like yogurt and kefir. No pill probiotics.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:20 am

My doc said antibiotics until several days before the procedure and to gradually add fiber but no probiotics.

Best of luck.

Tsc1964
Regular Contributor

Postby Tsc1964 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:35 am

Thats great! My dr gave me instructions. He had me take 2 immoduim hour before procedure. I held donation day an half. Stopped vanco 48 hours prior. Slept amazing that night an since then. Wishing you the best.

Roxanne
Regular User

Postby Roxanne » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:00 am

I found the below site helpful for diet after the FMT. They also have a prior under FMT.

I had no clue milk had sugar in it, 12g

http://www.melbournefmt.com.au/post_fmt.html

I'm going in for my 2nd FMT next week.

Best of luck!

STS-0
Regular User

Postby STS-0 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:39 pm

Thanks everyone! FMT is tomorrow. Will document my experience here. I finished my Dificid two days prior to the procedure, so hopefully between the colon cleanse and FMT, the spores won't have time to germinate. In the middle of prep right now....bleh.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:31 pm

Good luck tomorrow.

STS-0
Regular User

Postby STS-0 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:10 pm

Thanks! Transplant happened today. Unfortunately I couldn't retain it very long, and a lot of it pretty much immediately came out once I woke up. I was having horrendous rectal spasms. Nurse said it was in for a total of about 45 minutes to an hour, but she also said that not as much came out as went in.

They did put a HUGE amount in there. So hopefully there's at least some still in there. They gave me Imodium after I had that bowel movement, so I haven't had another movement since. Wish they'd given me Imodium to begin with....

Doc didn't have any real specific diet recommendations, but I'm now following the post FMT guidelines Roxane shared above.

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:20 pm

Hi, I passed a lot of liquid shortly after waking up from my procedure, was not given Imodium until after my procedure, and I'm at 8 weeks as of today with no recurrence. So try not to worry too much you didn't hold it in long enough, and that it won't take because of that. My doctor said it is still coating your colon with good bacteria. ...I had immediate changes in bowel function after the procedure and obvious signs I had new bacteria effecting things. Btw, you may feel groggy the next day due to the drugs wearing off. So the most important thing to do now is eat the fruits and veggies.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:15 am

Doctors usually give patients 2 Immodium before the procedure and another 2 pills after the procedure is done to make sure they retain the slurry. Hopefully there is enough left inside to recolonize your gut , although you did keep it in for 45 minutes so that should help. There was a girl that was only able to keep it in for 15 minutes and her FMT was a success.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:29 am

Hopefully, you retained enough. Ask about Imodium again.

I'f you do home infusions, some docs advise you to lie on your left side for 15 min and rub your stomach gently in a clockwise direction. Turn to your stomach, right side, and back and do the same thing.

Do run this by your doc.Good luck.

Return to “FMT Discussion”