FMT next week! Need advice

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: FMT next week! Need advice

Postby georgina » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:30 am

You won't get back to normal bowel habbits even if the FMT was successful , you will still have symptoms for awhile ,untill the gut accomodates with the new bacteria.If you have strong colon spasm ask your doctor if you can take some antispasmodics , and also try some chamomille and peppermit tea 1-2 cups / day , might help.

STS-0
Regular User

Postby STS-0 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:52 am

I'm already taking antispasmodics. :( Whenever I have a motion of peristalsis -like after I eat a meal- when the wave hits my colon, it's amplified.

I am eating some fiber (2-3 Benefiber pills a day, 1 serve of oatmeal, and about a cup of cauliflower), but that's what you're supposed to eat post FMT to help the bacteria seed.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:57 am

As far as i know , you should try to eat as normal as you can but within reason (no alcohol , no sugary treats or too much fiber , no dairy if you are lactose intolerant etc) , start bland and gradually add some new foods back in. Be carefull with fiber , it might not sit well with you , might give you looser stools, i cannot tolerate oatmeal but i can eat rice or corn flakes with no problem. You are right about fiber helping the new bacteria grow, fiber is good but if it iritates your gut , forget it.

STS-0
Regular User

Postby STS-0 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:41 am

Well the one solid BM I had was after a day full of fiber. But all the D was also the same day. So I'm just not sure what to think.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:39 pm

You could try a day without the fiber pills and see what happens. One fiber pill would send me running to the toilet, and this was before c diff. I think it is better to try and get the fiber from food. Some posters have had luck with the natural fiber - acacia, that you can find at health food stores.

STS-0
Regular User

Postby STS-0 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:22 pm

I didn't have fiber pills yesterday, and still had D the rest of yesterday and today.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Mon May 01, 2017 12:42 am

I'm really sorry to hear that. I had a GI tell me that fiber is good for people with D and C. It will give me gas if I overdo it, which can be embarrassing and scary until I remember I took a couple Metamucil tablets. I hope tomorrow is a better day for you.

STS-0
Regular User

Postby STS-0 » Mon May 01, 2017 3:15 pm

So far the day 4 has been better for me, despite an incredible amount of stress. I really loaded up on the fiber pills yesterday, so maybe that's helping. I had one really big BM in the middle of the night that was a mixture of fluffy-solid and super loose, but my gut has actually been pretty quiet today, and it's 3pm.

Fingers crosssssed.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon May 01, 2017 3:59 pm

Hi
This threads getting a little long so I am locking it.
Standard length is 2 pages.
Feel free to start another thread.

Roy

Return to “FMT Discussion”