How much saline, can you have to much?

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
Roxanne
Regular User

How much saline, can you have to much?

Postby Roxanne » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:25 am

I have read up to 300g for the stool. Is there a maximum amount for the saline? My first FMT failed, I did have a lot of saline come out immediately after, so wondering if to much would wash away the good bacteria.

I'm not finding the information on diet before and after an FMT, can someone link it to me please.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: How much saline, can you have to much?

Postby georgina » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:05 am

I do not thinkl there is a maximum ammount of saline , you just have to mix enough to make the slurry pourable.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:40 am

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:41 pm

Roxanne, I'm so sorry to hear you recurred. I had my FMT done around the same time as you. I've been having a lot of anxiety since I hit the 4 week point worrying about recurrence, because the last two times I recurred it was around the month point. It is the hardest part of this... knowing that you feel great but it can come back without warning and for no explainable reason.
I wanted to tell you my doctor's advice about post-FMT diet. She said no pill probiotics, only natural sources like yogurt and kefir. And 70% of my diet is supposed to be fruits and vegetables, which is actually hard to do. But, you know, it's like everyone's doctor has a different opinion.
At least they are scheduling you soon, and you will likely feel drastically better right after the procedure just like last time. When I had my procedure done, I passed a lot of liquid D right after. They gave me Immodium right after the procedure but I wondered why they didn't give me a dose an hour before. Maybe I would have been able to hold it in and increase the chances of it being effective. If I recur again and have another procedure, I'm going to ask about this.

Roxanne
Regular User

Postby Roxanne » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:23 pm

Seems some doctors are dead set against taking Immodium right before. Debating on taking it myself and not telling them.

The vegs are a little difficult, but if it gets me cured, broccoli for breakfast. No sugar is hard, sugar is in everything, even good fiber cereal.

My MD was concerned Metformin could have caused the fail. So I'm on Invokana for a month after, works in your blood, not your gut.

Can diverticulitis make it harder for a FMT to work, given the pouches it causes?

Having second FMT tomorrow.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:28 pm

Roxanne,

I took Imodium several times on doc's advice.My FMT did not work right away - was miserable for weeks - finally kicked in.

Right other hints about FMT.

Best of luck.

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:44 am

Hope all goes well Roxanne! Make sure to let us know how you are :-) At least your doctor is thinking through your specific health issues and looking for possible risks for your for the FMT failing. It may just be that it takes more than once for many with totally depleted and messed up gut bacteria to reestablish what is needed to keep C Diff in check. I have had a few bad days recently and still don't feel certain I'm going to pull out of this even though I'm 8 weeks post FMT. BTW, I eat a lot of blueberries - cheaper if you buy frozen. They have a good amount of fiber, but don't cause me any GI issues.

Tsc1964
Regular Contributor

Postby Tsc1964 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:16 pm

Wishing you the best Roxanne an this 2nd one will be your cure! Keep us updated.

Return to “FMT Discussion”