Relapse w/o Antibiotics 8 mo later

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
Rosie93
New User

Relapse w/o Antibiotics 8 mo later

Postby Rosie93 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:52 pm

So, I am 8 months out from my FMT and first negative test. I have had countless tests since, all showing negative despite the fact that I am still troubled with diarrhea, cramping, and bloating. The most recent negative cdiff test was 2 months ago. However, it is suspected that I have SIBO. I had to take my SIBO breath test in UCSD Hospital Gastro unit one week ago today. The following day I began what has been a week of diarrhea reminiscent of cdiff. My other symptoms have also worsened. I am wondering if it is possible that I picked up another strain while in the hospital. I haven't been on antibiotics since before my FMT last July. Normally, I would write this off as a PI IBS flare up but the fact that I was in a hospital is troubling. I also have a a sore throat which makes me wonder if this is just a touch of the flu?
What are your opinions on the possibility of re-infection without antibiotics?

So worried. - I haven't heard back about the SIBO results yet.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Re: Relapse w/o Antibiotics 8 mo later

Postby amyc » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:25 am

The only way to know would be to test. You said on another thread that your doctor performed FMT over three weeks after you finished antibiotics, so I would not be surprised if the FMT failed. Did you try Dificid? I'd test and request Dificid if it's positive.

Roxanne
Regular User

Postby Roxanne » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:48 am

I'm confused, maybe I'm not reading this right. I thought the rule of thumb was Vanco or Difficid up to 2 days prior for an FMT.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:11 am

The lactulose that you had to drink for the SIBO test is a laxative. It causes D. It may just have triggered some IBS, but if you have a sore throat, it could also be a virus. I had D after the SIBO test, but I don't remember if it lasted more than a day or two. I have relapsed "out of the blue" though, but it was a low grade relapse and I only was advised to take Pepto Bismol, not vanco or any other antibiotic to treat c difficile.

Return to “FMT Discussion”