Post FMT diarrhea

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
rjansen
Brand New Poster

Post FMT diarrhea

Postby rjansen » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:09 pm

Underwent a home based FMT last Friday. I was only able to keep it in for about 35 mins, unfortunately. I've actually been feeling really great both physically and mentally, and I've been craving fiber rich foods, but my stools have been less than stellar. Small, soft, and breaking apart. Sometimes there's a little bit of mucus. I've been hitting the bathroom 3-4 x/day. I've read it can take a while for improvements, but is this a normal reaction to the FMT procedure, or should I try again?

Davidtm
Regular Contributor

Re: Post FMT diarrhea

Postby Davidtm » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:47 pm

Did you treat with antibiotics before the fmt? I had to take vanco until 2 days before my fmt. From what I was told things can be all over the place for quite some time after an fmt. You can always try to get tested if things get worse. I didn't have a home fmt but I've read about people having success with them. Just make sure your donor is screened for any possible issues.
Hopefully things start to improve for you.

rjansen
Brand New Poster

Postby rjansen » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:04 pm

No, I didn't treat with antibiotics. I don't have insurance. I hope everything works out.

Davidtm
Regular Contributor

Postby Davidtm » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:57 pm

Have you been diagnosed with c diff with a positive c diff test or just going based on symptoms. The point of taking meds before the fmt is to reduce the numbers of c diff bacteria so that you can seed the gut with good bacteria. Hope it works out for you and you feel better

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:50 pm

Hello rjensen and Welcome to the site, please read the first forum for all new posters

Often Home FMT's are directed under a physicians care. Have you been tested for CDIFF? It's important to make that diagnosis before any treatment. Treatment usually starts with medication leading up to the FMT. The donor should also be tested. Best to consult with a GI, if you don't have insurance I would contact the county health department for a referral.

NanciT

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:43 am

Home FMT should only be done under a doctors supervision , with tested donors , and like David said, after a course of meds. You cannot put good flora on top when you have pathogens overgrowth as the good flora might not survive , is like putting rabbits in the mouth of the lions! And also there are really high risks when it comes to donors , two posters on this site have used donors that weren't properly tested , one of them got Cdiff and the other got a parasite. Careful!

Return to “FMT Discussion”