FMT and Immodium following procedure

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
MKW
Regular Contributor

FMT and Immodium following procedure

Postby MKW » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:00 pm

I have my first FMT scheduled in a few days. It will be done by colonoscopy. This physician I am seeing has been performing the procedure for 3+ years, and says I will be given a dose of immodium following the procedure. Can anyone tell me is this typical? I have read a lot of posters mention how long they "held it in" post-procedure. Obviously, immodium would help with that. Just wondering if immodium is commonly given.

Roxanne
Regular User

Re: FMT and Immodium following procedure

Postby Roxanne » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:33 pm

I'm going for my FMT Wednesday and they are using the Immodium also afterwards. Saw a couple other doctors and they do this too.

I'm worried about pain and complications of drinking the prep for the colonoscopy. Has everyone been fine with it?

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:15 pm

Roxanne, I actually have this same concern too. I guess it's the not knowing what kind of condition my colon is really in after all this. I'm more afraid of drinking the prep and what it will do than having the procedure at this point.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:32 am

Immodium is given by most doctors that perform FMT to help the patient hold in the slurry as much time as possible.
The prep is no fun , I never had pain because of the prep but I did spend my day mostly on the toilet.

Emerald
New User

Postby Emerald » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:39 am

I had an FMT exactly 4 weeks ago today from a GI who has also been doing this for several years. I took immodium for one day prior to my FMT as well as for several days afterwards. It did not interfere with my prep which as has been mentioned mostly just makes you sit on the toilet for most of the day but isn't painful. Try not to eat too much the day before you start your prep--less to clean out. If you are having the FMT via colonoscopy you will have an urge to have a BM afterwards. They have to inflate the colon with air so they can put the FMT in. That air says in post-procedure, causes distention, which causes cramping, which then causes the urge to "go", and I was only able to "hold it" for 45 min total, including time under anesthesia. However I was told that was very normal for people to be forced to have a BM afterwards. The immodium helps to try to slow things down during your FMT and afterwards so the bacteria stay in there longer. I had my FMT on a Monday and my first real BM Friday after taking immodium for three days. I now have one BM most mornings that is formed, sometimes a small second one a few hours later. I've had a few issues with IBS, but otherwise I think it is working. I also am following the FODMAP diet and alcohol free. I honestly don't think I "need" to but I figure a few months of easy to digest stuff won't hurt and gives my colon a chance to recover. I was dealing with C diff for 5 months on and off and have never made it this far before without relapse. So yes, to answer your question, immodium is common.

Return to “FMT Discussion”