Just had my second Fmt

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
Davidtm
Regular Contributor

Just had my second Fmt

Postby Davidtm » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:47 pm

Just wanted to share with everyone my second fmt experience.
I had my second fmt yesterday. I'd say things went better this time than last time. I was more comfortable as I kind of knew what to expect. I had the donor stool administered around 2pm and have managed to hold onto it even as I'm writing this. Going to try for as long as comfortably possible. The last time I had a lot of gas and pressure making it very hard to hold in. Not sure what was different this time but I didn't have the same pain or gas/bloating so I'm able to retain it. I did mention to the doctor about that being an issue last time so maybe he was able to help minimize it this time.

The staff was all great and had an opportunity to allow students to observe the procedure. I think it's important for the medical community to have more experience and knowledge in this disease and its treatments. Although embarrassing to have more eyes on me everyone was very professional and comforting. The doctor is a great doctor who's very well knowledged, really comforting, and friendly. He's really hopeful for me to beat this.

The procedure was quick. As everyone would probably agree the prep is the hardest part. Lack of sleep and drinking that solution is no fun but not terrible. I arrived at the hospital, gowned up, given an iv with fluids and then the actual procedure itself took about 20 mins. The donor stool was delivered via colonoscopy while laying on my left side.

I was awake during the procedure and was given a twilight sedation. It's like being in a vivid dream. You're fully aware of what's going on but very relaxed. Time seems to go by fast and there is a slight amnesia effect where I can't remember anything but snipets of the event.

After the administration the bed was lowered at an angle with my head down and feet up for one hour. I'm guessing so gravity can help maximin coverage.
I was still a little loopy at this point but was mostly alert.
I got dressed and my brother took me home. Rest and relaxation.
I've been eating healthy and making sure to have good fiber and low stress.
Hoping my experience can help others who are waiting to have their procedure or are considering it. It's really not that bad at all. Just make sure you ask the dr anything you want to ask before the procedure if you have any questions. Hoping this is my last treatment and that it is a success.
Will keep everyone posted.
Stay hopeful and optimistic.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Just had my second Fmt

Postby NanciT » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:15 am

So happy it went well David and also that you have a caring GI to support you through this. It sounds like all went well, give it a little time and I bet you are feeling much better soon!
Keep us updated!
NanciT

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:36 am

Congrats for having done the second FMT and crossing fingers and toes that this is going to be the end of Cdiff.

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:53 pm

Great to hear you had a good experience David! I will be having my first FMT this Thursday, and am starting to have some fear of the unknown anxiety. So, thanks for your detailed account of how the procedure went. It helps to hear a description of what goes on.

Roxanne
Regular User

Postby Roxanne » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:36 pm

Thanks for your post David. Going in for my FMT Wed. Was nervous about the prep with C-Diff, how much more can my gut handle. I hope this one takes for you. How long after the first one did you know you still had C-Diff?

Davidtm
Regular Contributor

Postby Davidtm » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:12 pm

Hi Roxanne, I wish you luck on your upcoming fmt. I'm sure you will do great and it will be over before you know it. It has a very high cure rate. Not sure why it's not as easy going for me. I guess after the first one things never really looked normal after. It slowly declined until one day it started to appear as though my telltale symptoms were returning. I tested and started meds and had a positive test. The meds made everything look normal within days. I'm having the same experience this time and have yet to have a normal bm. It might be an issue with my donor so I will try someone else if this doesn't work out. Keep us posted and remember things can be up and down afterward and it not be a relapse.

Maurie
Brand New Poster

Postby Maurie » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:27 pm

My husband (male age 76) has had recurrent C Diff for nearly four years. It was initially diagnosed as UC, but at my insistence they tested for C Diff and he tested positive. He has been able to survive on Vanco, but he has never been cured. Jan 31, he had a fecal transplant at Boca Raton Hospital. For two days after the fecal transplant he felt the best he had felt in four years, then the C Diff came back. He next tried Dificid; he really didn't feel well on the Dificid protocol but finished the ten days yesterday. Now, we are hoping the dificid has worked. But we aren't holding out much hope. The doctor wants to do a second fecal transplant. My husband's life has really been ruined by this disease. He became anemic from all the bleeding, but the bleeding has stopped on the Dificid.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:48 am

Maurie - I'm sorry for what your husband is going through. I was on vanco for a long time too and I have had more than one FMT. Sometimes one is not enough, especially if you have had c diff for a long time. Dificid was not out when I first got c difficile, but many have had good results. Hopefully, your husband will too. But, if he does relapse, I don't think having a second FMT is that unusual. I assume it was by colonoscopy.

Roxanne
Regular User

Postby Roxanne » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:00 pm

David, I used a "bank" I do wonder about donors, can there be a big variation in the good bacteria?

Maurie, I hope your husband got rid of it. From what I have read needing a second FMT isn't that uncommon. Keep your hopes up.

I had my first FMT last Wednesday. Was nervous about drinking the prep, it wasn't worse than prior C-Diff. Maybe because I had to drink less??

The procedure went well and held it in for 3 days. The IV fluids helped a lot, dehydrated and my pain reduced immediately. I've already taken a walk and went kayaking. Handling vegs and leaving garlic, sugar junk food out of my diet. My stomach is starting to go down and even wore shorts yesterday, as I was so distended I could only wear dresses. I know it's to early to know if I'm cured for sure, especially having it since 2011.

Has anyone read about Metformin for diabetics and taking it after a FMT? I haven't taken it since, afraid it may do damage to the good bacteria. My numbers aren't super high, so I'm comfortable being off it for now. Just don't want to mess the FMT up.

Return to “FMT Discussion”