Bleaching AFTER FMT?

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
linnyg
Contributor

Bleaching AFTER FMT?

Postby linnyg » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:48 am

Hello. I joined back in August. I did 1 round of Flagyl, 2 Vancos and 5, yes 5 rounds of Dificid. Finally had my FMT one week ago. (colonoscopy with nephew as donor)

Have you been advised to continue the germicidal bleach routines after FMT? Prior to my FMT, I used the germicidal bleach wipes on my toilet after each toilet use, and was bleaching my toilet every day, doing my laundry separately, etc. Since then, I've only been doing the toilet wipe down once a day. My doctor didn't think it was necessary, but.....I'm afraid of those rogue spores that might still be hiding out.

Btw, I only wish I could have had this done sooner. I am absolutely amazed at how great I feel. I was able to "keep it in" for 45 hours, and the pain is almost gone. (I'd say on a scale of 1-10, it's about a 1 at this point) I do feel sort of odd, because I had been in such terrible pain for almost 6 months, it's hard to get used to feeling good again. Not complaining one bit, lol, I will get used to it.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Bleaching AFTER FMT?

Postby beth22 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:12 am

Happy to hear that your FMT went so well. I did not really do the bleaching afterwards. Are you afraid of re-infecting yourself? Spores are all around you - in public restrooms, on your shoes, purse, etc. Do it for a while if it makes you feel more comfortable, but I don't think it is necessary. One thing I do is flush the toilet with the lid closed though. It is a habit I got into with active c diff. It helps keep spores and other germs from flying about the bathroom.

linnyg
Contributor

Postby linnyg » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:27 am

I just worry about any that might still be lingering inside me, waiting to come out, lol. Yeah- the toilet lid closing was something I learned here back in the beginning. When my kids come over, they automatically say, "We KNOW, mom, close the lid when you flush", lol. Thanks!

DrMike
Contributor

Postby DrMike » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:17 pm

I'm gonna have our cleaning lady do the bleaching while I'm at FMT but I wonder... You can't bleach the entire house. Am I to throw away all my clothes and get new ones? Do we purge and bleach the fridge?

Davidtm
Regular Contributor

Postby Davidtm » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:09 pm

I have all but given up on fearing the spore. I just assume they are everywhere. Beyond having good hygiene and cleaning the toilet once a week I don't over do it. My hands are finally healing from not using all the chemicals and washing 20 times a day.
I cleaned obsessively and it didn't really do me any favors. Good hygiene and washing hands before eating is good enough for me.
My significant other is an asymptomatic carrier, I have a 10 month old who's probably colonized until she's 2, and I have an 8 year old daughter that plays outside in the dirt and uses the restroom at a school where 100s of other kids go too. I decided I either had to live in a bubble or just follow basic hygiene procedures. Don't fear the spore. Picture the fmt as getting security guards for the colon club and the spores aren't on the list.

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:39 pm

Davidtm, that is probably good advice... I am so not there yet (with the cleaning/hand washing/anxiety), but I hope to be there someday

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:05 am

David gave you good advice , cleaning your hands and bleaching you bathroom and underwear and bath towels is more then enough . If you never had accidents inside the rest of the house , there is no need to bleach it and I assume you always washed your hands before opening the fridge to get your food , so I really don't see the point of bleaching the fridge.
You know that you can't really stay away from spores as they live everywhere , you work in healthcare so you will definitely come in contact with spores again , and also I belive that HUGE quantity of spores are on money and you cannot stay away from those.

linnyg
Contributor

Postby linnyg » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:10 am

Agreed. I no longer go crazy with the germicidal bleach in the rest of the house- we NEED some bacteria in our lives. I still use the germicidal bleach in the bathroom I use, and when I launder my undergarments and towels. Still haven't gotten rid of THAT part of my c diff induced paranoia, lol. That's getting better now, too!

Return to “FMT Discussion”