FMT and Dificid

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
Roxanne
Regular User

FMT and Dificid

Postby Roxanne » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:22 pm

Thank you for making such a wonderful message board!

I have been battling C-Diff since 2011. Flagal didn't work and Vanco, I lose hearing and doesn't work. Dificid has helped reduce it, but I still have C-Diff. I've taken it as long as 4 months straight.

To make the success rate higher, should I also take Dificid after the FMT? Is there a time frame to stop the Dificid prior? Dificid is normally for only 10 days, so I can't get information from the manufacture. Doctors tend not to spend much time or researching, so my apt tomorrow I want to go in with knowledge.

Any recommendations on good fiber food?

Any other recommendations?

I want my life back, it's been way to long with over 9 months in and out of the hospital.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: FMT and Dificid

Postby beth22 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:40 pm

The protocol is not to take any antibiotics, including the ones for c difficile like Dificid after FMT. You don't want to kill any good flora. Usually you would prep before the FMT with Dificid until a day or two before the procedure.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:09 pm

Hello Roxanne and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

I am sorry you have been dealing with this since 2011. That is a very long time to be in this battle. Have you had the same GI treating you during this time? I ask that question because I really found I needed to get that 2nd and even 3rd opinion, or search for someone who has a great deal of experience with CDIFF. We do have a list here on the site.
You mentioned you took Dificid for 4 months and still had a relapse, did they put you on a Pulse /Taper at the time? I was on a Pulse/taper for 3 months. Post CDIFF I thought I had relapsed several time but in my case I had severe IBS which I feel was probably due to the length of time I was on it.
As far as the FMT, I have not heard of anyone taking any of these medications Post FMT. Hopefully this FMT will do it for you and you can finally recover from this illness.
I hope the appointment goes well!
NanciT

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:38 am

Sorry you have been dealing with Cdiff for such a long time .It seems that you have tried every course of meds under the sun and meds are not a solution for you , maybe it's time to try FMT. FMT has the highest success rate but taking another course of meds after it , including Dificid , might kill some of that new bacteria. Beth is right , Dificid and other meds are needed to prep for FMT and should be discontinued 48h before you have the procedure.

Roxanne
Regular User

Postby Roxanne » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:51 am

I have seen numerous doctors for it. Was going for a transplant in 2011, but the Dificid came out. Since first Dx with it, unable to leave the house in the mornings, was told I was bowel incontinent, even though I was still going a lot. I didn't question it (Going through other major issues in my life) Only had 1 negative test. Going for the FMT this Tuesday, can't wait.

I was never put on a taper with Dificid. I know they do it with other drugs. I've asked doctors about it and they all said you don't taper with Dificid.

I've been off the Dificid for over a week, even more distended now. Hoping having it for so long, no long term effects. It will be great to have my life back.

Drinking the prep with C-Diff for the colonoscopy, does it cause more pain?

When do I start using a "clean" restroom after the FMT?

Off to read on your site high fiber foods for after the FMT.

Return to “FMT Discussion”