My Story and Advice for FMT via NG Tube

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
ZAChick
New User

My Story and Advice for FMT via NG Tube

Postby ZAChick » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:57 am

My procedure took place in South Africa. My husband was cleared to be my donor and on the day of the procedure he did his part. The nurse took the sample and processed it in a blender.

The nasogastric tube for this procedure was much bigger than what I expected. It was about the size of my entire nostril, not like the small feeding tubes people wear overnight for a slow tube feed.

The process of putting the tube in was difficult. I brought a drink and a straw with me to help me swallow when the tube was in the middle of my throat. The nurse helping me said she didn’t want me to use it because I could vomit. That was wise advice. She sprayed my throat with a numbing solution. The placement of the tube was more uncomfortable than painful although at times there was a sharp pain. The worst part was when the tube was in the middle of my throat, which caused a gag reflex. Swallowing frequently, breathing, and the nurse stopping occasionally to give me a short break to calm down really helped.

Once the tube was placed I thought it would be more comfortable than it was. I still had to focus on keeping calm and breathing. The doctor came in and injected 50 ml of liquid stool along with 50 ml of tap water very quickly into the tube. I felt the cold liquid as it went down. I thought that because the liquid was in the tube it wouldn’t bother me that I was swallowing poop, however it was really gross. They told me to close my eyes but I started gagging.

After the liquids were injected I was told they needed to wait for 15 minutes before taking the tube out. They didn’t want me to vomit. My husband was let in to my room at this point, held my left hand, and distracted me by talking to me. It really helped. All the while I was holding a stress ball my daughter made for me in my right hand. While I was resting with the tube in, it bothered me that the tube was moving on its own. My body was slowly trying to expel the tube and it felt really uncomfortable.

The process of removing the tube was easier than putting the tube in, but it was still difficult and uncomfortable. It must be down slowly to avoid vomiting. When the tube reached the back of my throat I started gagging and I was very worried that I would throw up and the whole procedure would be wasted. Luckily I didn’t have breakfast before the procedure or else I think it would have been doomed. I gagged several times and the nurse and doctor kept telling me not to throw up or I would have to repeat the procedure. I was trying so hard to keep everything down. The very worst was when the tube was at the top of my throat and near my nose. I had a strong smell and taste of stool. Honestly I can’t believe that I didn’t fully throw up.

After the tube was out they had me wait for another 15 minutes in the procedure room to make sure I didn’t vomit. During this time I continued to try very hard not to vomit. At this point I was allowed to drink some of the flavored water I brought and I ate a bit of a granola bar too. The nurse let me suck on some ice, which also helped.

My advice:
Do not have anything to eat before the procedure.
Suck on a numbing throat lozenge before and after the procedure.
Bring a stress ball to hold during the procedure.
If you wear glasses take them off during the procedure.
Keep yourself distracted during the procedure and while you are waiting to remove the tube.
Bring a flavored drink with a straw.
Bring a plain granola bar.
Will yourself not to vomit.
Get outside and into the fresh air as soon as you can.

My doctor and nursing sister were absolutely wonderful. It was not a fun procedure to endure but they really helped me get through it. I gave the nursing sister a great big hug after it was finished. I hope I never have to go through this again.

amg
Regular Contributor

Re: My Story and Advice for FMT via NG Tube

Postby amg » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:17 pm

You poor thing! I hope you never have to again, too.

I'm curious why your doctor used this method and not colonoscopy.

ZAChick
New User

Postby ZAChick » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:56 am

My doctor has done over 20 successful FMT procedures with the NG Tube. I think going the NG route is faster for both the patient and doctor. It also costs far less than doing a colonoscopy which is probably a major factor here in South Africa. My doctor has done some procedures via colonoscopy but only in more difficult cases where the patient would not be able to tolerate the NG Tube I believe. In some ways I wish I would have had a colonoscopy since it would have been much easier on me, but I'm glad it worked out fine in the end.

About a month after I had a negative c diff test, my husband was asked to be a donor for a critically sick patient in her 20s who didn't have time to find a donor. Since my husband had already been screened, he agreed to help. We just found out her test came back negative and she is doing well. I am so thankful for FMT. It is truly saving lives!

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:08 am

I had the same procedure done 14 months ago , it was not pleasant but I managed to get trough it . I am a nurse , worked in ICU , Surgery and had done this to several people before it was done to me , and I knew what to expect. To be able to get the tube placed faster you should swallow as the tube is pushed in by the nurse , helps a lot. My tube was placed in less then 1 minute and I had to keep it 2 hours before it was removed. Unfortunately , my doc didn't want me to take a course of vanco before the FMT , and after 7 months it failed. Hope that yours is successful.How are you feeling now ?

ZAChick
New User

Postby ZAChick » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:51 am

Hi Georgina, I'm really sorry to hear that your procedure ended up not working after 7 months. What was the next step for you? It must have been strange being the one who has placed ng tubes in the past and then being the patient.

I had my procedure on October 5th. My doctor says I have post-infectious IBS. I had a negative c diff result on November 5th but I continue to have ups and downs. I just tested again for c diff after having major problems for the last week and a half. It came back negative thankfully. I feel like I am still learning what I can and cannot eat and trying to heal my intestinal tract. I am taking one VSL #3 daily and hoping that it will help to rebuild my healthy bacteria.

Do you have any idea how long it takes to rebuild the gut after going through c diff? Will it ever be able to be built back up to full strength again?

I wish you all the best in your journey!

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:27 am

Nobody can say how much time it takes for your new flora to grow and repopulate your gut , you have to be patient , some people needed a few weeks , other six months to a year , some needed more . Congrats on the negative test , you must be relieved!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:23 am

The NIG Procedure often results in SIBO.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:35 am

I had an NG procedure done in 2008. It went much easier than yours, but my tube was very small. I had a scratchy throat after for a day, but other wise it went down ok and I did not use any spray because I can't stand the feeling of having anything in my mouth numbed. Unfortunately, the procedure did not work for me and I had taken vanco before as was the protocol. I also wound up with SIBO. I was told later on that the bacteria that is in the colon is different from the bacteria in the small intestine and it should not be introduced there. I wound up later having to treat the SIBO with Xifaxan, which also works against many strains of c difficile.

I hope that you continue to improve and feel better. It does take a long time for the intestines to heal.

Return to “FMT Discussion”