3 weeks post FMT and doing well

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
CSHF
New User

3 weeks post FMT and doing well

Postby CSHF » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:49 am

Hi all. I'm a 47 year old female with an underlying autoimune disease. I struggled with a relapsing c-diff infection for over a year. The first episode of infection was healed with flagyl, but about two months later I was treated with IV antibiotics and relapsed. After that relapse, I was unable to go off antibiotics without relapsing (it took about two weeks to relapse and happened about five times over the course of ten months). I tried Vanco and Difficid. Both seemed to control infection (I would test negative and the worst of the symptoms abated but would return with positive toxin test after discontinuing antibiotic). It is worth noting that while on antibiotics, I still had frequent, watery bowl movements, possibly from the antibiotics themselves as opposed to actual c-diff; I'm not sure.

I had a FMT in mid-December and have been doing well since. I went from having up to 8 very loose bowl movements per day to about 2-3 mostly well formed bowl movements. I had the procedure done with donated stool from OpenBiome, arranged through my doctor. I am hopeful that I will continue to do well and am doing everything I can to avoid infection and stay off antibiotics.

Thanks to everyone here for sharing information and your experiences. It has helped me very much, and I appreciate it.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: 3 weeks post FMT and doing well

Postby beth22 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:24 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience. It gives hope to others.

ashtontw
Regular Contributor

Postby ashtontw » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:10 am

I had my FMT through OpenBiome (Dr. Joseph in Port Charlotte, FL) in early November and have also been doing really well. So happy to hear that you are in recovery now, also! I was on Vanco for 7 months straight and my relapses became more severe and even while I was still on Vanco (tapering). Scary stuff. FMT saved my life, and I thank God every day for the procedure and the few doctors that do it!!

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:44 am

CSHF
Glad to hear you are doing well and maybe when you will feel like the time is right you will post in success stories.Wishing you continuous improvement!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:19 am

So glad you are doing well. Wishes for continued success!

Dusty$@
Brand New Poster

Postby Dusty$@ » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:30 pm

I am almost in tears reading this... My experience is the same antibiotics did not work for me tried them all.... I am going for an appointment for the FMT as soon as they receive my transcripts from my doctor. I received C Diff after a Gallbladder surgery had it for 8 months thnking the all my symptoms were from the surgery.... I am down to 100 lbs. from 122 lbs in April of 2015.. Thank you for posting your success with FMT. I can't wait to get things going I am also going to be going the oral route with OpenBiome... Thanks again you have brighten my day!!

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:36 pm

Check on the oral route, I don't think it's available.
Openbiome have stopped producing capsuals!
No reason given but there must have been a problem with them.
Also they were less effective than other FMT methods.
I think the cure rate dropped below 70%

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:09 am

So happy you are doing well!! Wishing you continued recovery!

NanciT

Return to “FMT Discussion”