recovery question

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
ashtontw
Regular Contributor

recovery question

Postby ashtontw » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:38 am

I had my FMT yesterday, about 12:30pm. It's now 1:30am the next day (just over 24 hours) and I have not had one single BM. The entire transplant has stayed in this entire time. I was given one dose of Imodium right before my procedure. I went to a "Friendsgiving" this evening and ate as I normally would - as per Dr. Joseph. He said to eat whatever I want and can tolerate. I started to get bloated and suuuuper crampy, painful and almost gassy feeling. Burped a lot. Tried to have a BM but couldn't. The pain eventually settled and went away. Should I be concerned that I am not having a BM yet or is it normal to be C after an FMT? I know it's normal to be "irregular" for the first two weeks. I've just read that it seems to be a struggle for most people to even hold the transfer in more than two hours and didn't know if anyone has held it for over 24 like me? Dr. Joseph also said to continue my probiotics as of today, so I went ahead and took a Florastor and my Garden of Life "Colon Care" just now as I'm getting ready for bed in hopes that maybe that will push things along.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: recovery question

Postby georgina » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:41 am

The more you keep the slurry in, the greater chances for succes. 24 h is great , congrats !! You should eat as normal as you can but within reason , don't drink alcohol , don't eat sugary treats or fast food , eat healthy foods. You can be constipated after FMt because of the immodium.

ashtontw
Regular Contributor

Postby ashtontw » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:49 pm

Thank you!! That makes me feel better. Still haven't gone! Lol. So weird. Hopefully after more Thanksgiving food I can have a normal BM.

Happy Thanksgiving Georgina and everyone else on here that is celebrating! I hope everyone is able to enjoy the holiday, C Diff aside.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:08 pm

Ashton
Here's a song to sing around the table at dinner.

http://hubpages.com/entertainment/diarrhea-song

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:55 am

LOL Roy!!
Thank you Ashton (I'm Romanian , we don't celebrate that here) , happy thanksgiving to you too !

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:40 am

Ashton - After my first FMT colonoscopy transfer, I did not go for 4 days. Remember, you did a cleanout before. There is nothing much left in there to come out. I would not worry about it. If you start to get cramps, then ask your doctor about maybe taking some fiber like Benefiber.

ashtontw
Regular Contributor

Postby ashtontw » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:43 am

Hahaha, Roy!! That was great!!

Beth, I finally went a tiiiiny bit last night and again this AM. Not as formed as I would like, but still formed. I was warned of two weeks of not normal, so I'm trying to remind myself to be patient. Doesn't help that it's my time of the month, I used to get D from that before I ever had C diff. I have made a very good friend at my job who has crohns, has had rectal cancer, and is always relapsing with C diff because of her Crohns. She's only 22!! Over 10 colonoscopies in her lifetime so far. Vanco seems to stave off her relapse well with one course. It's so crazy how everyone's body handles it so differently.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:22 pm

Remember, c diff is the WWW disease - watch, wait, and worry. Hang in there.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:45 am

It can take more then two weeks sometimes to get to some kind of normal , even after FMT . Be patient , bacteria doesn't grow overnight.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:04 am

My doctor told me 6 months to a year, but I had it longer than you before I got the FMT.

ashtontw
Regular Contributor

Postby ashtontw » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:42 am

Cramping and D this morning...I'm freaking out. Is this still normal part of FMT recovery to go through some cramping and D?? I've been tolerant of lots of foods so far. Visited the restaurant I work at last night and had a pot roast. Really hoping it's just the food from last night. :( My last relapse started this way, early in the morning with bad cramping and 3-4 rounds of D within an hour. So I'm scared.

code3rn
Regular Contributor

Postby code3rn » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:58 pm

Yes it can be normal. Remember as your doctor said, the first 2 weeks will be all over the place. The stool donation wasn't solid, it was mixed with saline into a slurry.

ashtontw
Regular Contributor

Postby ashtontw » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:07 pm

I keep telling myself that. But wouldn't the slurry all be out by now? Tuesday will be my one week mark. I did finally eat this afternoon - some chicken and plain biscuits. Usually on my relapses I want nothing to do with food, so that is one positive. Just feeling overall icky. I should have specified with my doc if D is part of the "all over the place." I think I was expecting everything except D to fall into the acceptable category and I'm glad to hear that I'm wrong. I'll probably email the nurse this afternoon just to let her know what's up and hopefully get some feedback from Dr. Joseph.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:45 pm

I got lots of food intolerances that I did not have before, so maybe part of it is food. Try eating rice and bland for a day or two and then introduce things back again.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:10 am

We often say to posters not to expect normal bowel habits after FMT , it's not a magical cure . It's to early to tell if FMT worked or not , don't ask to be tested so soon , give it time. Ask your doctor for something to help slow down your gut or something to firm up your stool like Colestipol.

Return to “FMT Discussion”