1 Month Post 2nd FMT - Questions

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
okaylo
Regular Contributor

1 Month Post 2nd FMT - Questions

Postby okaylo » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:15 pm

I had my 2nd FMT one month ago. I just finished a 7 day course of Terazol anti-fungal cream for a mild yeast infection (administered by suppository). I was reassured by my GI doctor and nurse practitioner that the cream was safe post FMT as it was anti-fungal not an antibiotic and would not affect my FMT/gut bacteria. However, now that I have finished this treatment my mind is racing. The whole time I used this cream I did not feel good and felt like I had the flu. I read the side effects and it said some people experience this and also that abdominal pain, nausea, pelvic cramping, and diarrhea can occur from using the cream but is less common. I didn't know if the side effects I was experiencing (nausea, pelvic cramping, abdominal pain, colicky colon) were from the cream or just my GI issues and long history overall. This cream medication leaks and was in my backside when I would get up in the morning and wipe. I'm so afraid that it has gotten inside my bottom and is going to affect my FMT/gut flora. I know this sounds crazy but after two FMTs and a long battle with CDIFF nothing seems impossible.

Today, I woke up with diarrhea/loose stool this morning. I'm thinking that might've been from the Belgian waffle I ate last night at IHOP (high fat and sugar content) and boy do I regret it. I never eat like that but took a chance and now I am asking myself why? One wrong food decision and my gut goes insane. I have IBS to begin with along with SIBO plus acid reflux/GERD, a hiatal hernia, and many other issues. I have been to 3 nutritionists all with conflicting views on diet recommendations. One told me to follow a low fiber/low residue diet for the SIBO and IBS. I have had to follow this for many months as my gut cannot handle fiber, veggies, dairy, etc. The next nutritionist told me to go gluten free and had me on a regimen of around 30 natural supplements a day. I lasted about a month on this rigorous routine and felt sicker every day before I said enough is enough and stopped. The most recent nutritionist that I went to told me to drink potato starch in water to weed out the bad bugs but advised me it would cause both gas and bloating. I did not start that recommendation as my gut has been all over the place post 2nd FMT and I was just trying to give things time. My diet consists of dry rice krispies, white rice, chicken breast, plain crackers, baked potatoes, Pringles, plain chicken tacos, and sometimes a small amount of avocado. Very boring, not much nutritional content, but really all I can handle at this point. My diet isn't good but whenever I try adding a new food my gut acts up even more than normal.

I guess my questions are 1. Has anyone experienced ill side effects while using an anti-fungal medication (specifically those used to treat yeast infections)? 2. Did anyone use an anti-fungal med post CDIFF or post FMT and were they reassured it was safe? 3. Any diet suggestions about what to eat post FMT? I know everyone is different in what works for them in terms of food but just looking for some information. I am so upset and freaking out right now about that cream I used.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: 1 Month Post 2nd FMT - Questions

Postby NanciT » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:49 pm

I understand after you have been through 2 FMT's the concern. I have never heard of Terazol causing any issues but I if I read the insert there might be a rare case with abdominal pain. I can't imagine how it would upset the flora in the gut, especially because it is an anti fungal. I have used it several times, also taken Diflucan several times post CDIFF. Just finished a 3 month treatment of Diflucan. I did not have an FMT, but was on Vanco and Dificid for 10 months.

I would go along with the thought it was probably the waffle. I still have to be careful and when I try new foods often there are times I have issues for 2-3 days.

Hopefully the Terazol will do the trick and be rid of the yeast infection, and you will feel better in a day or two.

As far as the diet, I did not have an FMT but it has been a sloooow process for me to add new foods.
Take Care
NanciT

okaylo
Regular Contributor

Re: 1 Month Post 2nd FMT - Questions

Postby okaylo » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:54 pm

Thank you Nanci. I really appreciate you reaching out to me and for sharing your insight. It really helps to hear from other people. Good luck with everything and God bless!

Return to “FMT Discussion”