Surgery after fmt

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
Overthis
New User

Surgery after fmt

Postby Overthis » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:28 pm

So i need to have a hysterectomy on 11/18 and am petrified of being given an antibiotic. I battled cdiff on and off for a year and had my fmt in late August. The fmt completely worked and even seems to have cured my ibs-d. My question is has anyone had surgery after fmt and what antibiotic is safe. I don't think i could handle another relapse. Thanks!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Surgery after fmt

Postby beth22 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:53 am

I had two surgeries in the same year and was given antibiotics for neither. Normally, an antibiotic is given prophylactically, but when I told the surgeons about my c diff history (I had FMT too), they agreed to do the surgery without it. One was a parathyroid surgery, where they cut open my neck/throat. The other was breast surgery - lumpectomy.

I don't know if for a hysterectomy antibiotics are required or if it can be done without. If you need one, check out the list in the CDI section for antibiotics that are less likely to cause c difficile.

Overthis
New User

Postby Overthis » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:15 am

Thanks Beth22 i will go look at that.

code3rn
Regular Contributor

Postby code3rn » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:12 pm

Definitely let your surgeon know you have cdiff and see what they suggest. I would also let your GI doc know as well as they are more familar with cdiff. Perhaps they can give you vanco orally as well if you do need IV antibiotics.

Return to “FMT Discussion”