Possible yeast infection after FMT

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
okaylo
Regular Contributor

Possible yeast infection after FMT

Postby okaylo » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:58 pm

I believe that I may have a yeast infection from all of the antibiotics I was on leading up to the FMT and possibly due to overwashing in an effort to stay extra clean. I go to the doctor tomorrow to see what's going on. I know NO oral antibiotics. I had to use anti-fungal suppositories for yeast infections in the past (prior to my FMT's) as my GI told me they were safe and would not effect my intestines but I am just extremely nervous about EVERYTHING post FMT and am so afraid to do anything. Has anyone suffered from a yeast infection after they've had an FMT whether it was related to the prior antibiotics or not and how did you treat it? (Prescription grade anti-fungals, monistat, natural treatments, trying to let it resolve on its own, etc). I'm not sure that is 100% sure what is going on but I just want to check on people's experiences and prepare myself.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Re: Possible yeast infection after FMT

Postby Lisa33 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:55 am

I wouldn't worry about having to treat a yeast infection. Anti-fungals do not cause c-diff. I used to get chronic yeast infections prior to c-diff. Unfortunately for me OTC meds such as Monistat would burn the heck out of me, so I couldn't use them. I would ride them out for the most part. I did take Diflucan a couple of times though. My last yeast infection was from Flagyl when I had c-diff in Sept 2014. Going this long without a yeast infection was previously unheard of for me. I can only share my experience, but what has worked for me is taking Florastor. Since taking Florastor, I have not had one. It could be a coincidence, but I don't think so. My OB/GYN did recommend probiotics as a way to keep yeast in check. Usually doctors recommend Acidophilus. Have you tried these probiotics yet?

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:08 am

I had chronic yeast infections post CDIFF. I was not able to use creams either. I did use Diflucan and recently went on a course with no issues. It is now cleared!! I would use the cream as a first option if possible, but in my case I had severe burning with it.
NanciT

okaylo
Regular Contributor

Postby okaylo » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:14 pm

Update: Went to the gyno's nurse practitioner and was told it is a very mild yeast infection... She said it may resolve itself on its own and to see how I feel over the next few days... She called in an RX anti-fungal cream should I need it and said it was safe as it stays put and isn't absorbed systemically.

Lisa, I don't tolerate probiotics well and every one I have tried has made things worse. I also have SIBO and taking probiotics isn't recommended. MY GI told me some people take probiotics after an FMT but the FMT is the ultimate probiotic and to let nature take its course without over-confusing my system.

Nanci, Thanks for your info. If it gets worse, I will use the creams.

ResearchGrandma
Regular Contributor

Postby ResearchGrandma » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:04 pm

I will PM you the remedy I have been using recently for vaginal yeast overgrowth

Ggautier
Brand New Poster

Postby Ggautier » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:17 am

I had Systemic Candida prior CDiff. I was in tx for 4 months ! I hope that I won't have after my FMT in Friday.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:47 pm

Sometimes FMT can help rid you of yeast I was told by my doctor.

kaynash
New User

Postby kaynash » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:54 am

GHautier,

How were you diagnosed and treatedI would appreciate your reply very much

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:03 am

Hi Kaynash - This is an old post. Please refer to dates as you may not get a response. I had chronic yeast infection issues prior to getting c-diff in 2014. As soon as I started probiotics while battling c-diff, the yeast infections were put to bed. Probiotics have definitely cured the chronic yeast problems. I take Florastor and Culturelle, alternating every day. Acidophilus is very good for keeping yeast in check as well. And another probiotic that I have taken recently when I thought one was coming on and it stopped it in its tracks was RePhresh. I have also been diagnosed with a BV infection when I stopped probiotics at one time and as soon as I started up the probiotics again, it went away without treatment. I am a firm believer in probiotics for keeping yeast and bacteria at bay for feminine issues.

kaynash
New User

Postby kaynash » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:10 pm

Lisa33,

Thank you so much for your reply. I found you very kind. I am actually going through the same thing as one of old original post members. I did have some yeast issue prior to C diff, but my diet was the cause and one pill diflucan helped ... in 10 days was no longer an issue. However, after C diff I have devolopped the weird symptoms and visited my GI as well as PCP and a new GI. They brush off stuff and don’t want to bother. I remeber when I had C diff and didn’t know. I had extreme anxiety and heart palpitations. Now I am both C diff and toxin negative, but I have chills, warmth in my body, nail fungus what looked like, eczema, I tell them to check for yeast, again no luck. I will try the brobiotics you mentionned. I tried sacromyces sure I had great energy, stool back to normal, no constipation or abdominal pain, but I was sneezing like hell. I think My last resort is to order a urine organic acids. That will be my only hope. Thank you again!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:02 pm

I will add to this I had chronic yeast infections Post CDIFF but did not have an FMT. I was on Vanco for 3 months and then DIficid for another 3 months and could not get rid of it. I am on probiotics and continue with them today. I ended up taking a long course of DIflucan. Now 3 years post CDIFF I have them back.
I was on medication for months with CDIFF and the doctors feel it threw off the normal flora and its been very difficult to get rid of it. You can also search in the search bar above. I have commented about this several times in various threads.

Hope you can get to the bottom of it soon
NanciT

Return to “FMT Discussion”