Recurrence After FMT

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
Highland5
New User

Recurrence After FMT

Postby Highland5 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:33 am

Hello everyone. I had a successful FMT in April of 2015 after a 6 month c diff battle. Since then I've been living in fear of having to take an antibiotic. I've been through an ear infection, which cleared up on it's own and several oral surgeries including an implant and gum graft without having to take antibiotics. I curious if anyone has seen any data regarding the incidence of recurrence of c diff after an FMT as opposed to the recurrence rate after successful Flagyl, Vanco or Dificid treatment. Any info would be appreciated.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: Recurrence After FMT

Postby georgina » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:25 am

FMT has the highest success rate , but sometimes more then one is needed to get well . If you feel ok , and you are six months out from the procedure you should not be thinking about reoccurance unless antibiotics are needed.

Highland5
New User

Postby Highland5 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:03 am

Hello Georgina. Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify, that's what I'm curious about. The recurrence rate when taking antibiotics after an FMT cure vs the recurrence rate when taking antibiotics after a Flagyl, Vanco or Dificid cure.

code3rn
Regular Contributor

Postby code3rn » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:18 pm

That's a good question, I am not sure about those rates. I had an FMT 2.5 years ago then took cipro this past summer and my cdiff came back. I had another FMT done and now I am better. I know that the worst antibiotic offenders are probably much riskier (clindamycin, cipro, etc).

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:09 am

I got c diff back after taking Cipro after my first FMT and I tested positive again this year after taking antibiotics during a hospital stay. When I took antibiotics a couple of years ago, I did some home FMT enemas and that prevented it from coming back. This last time I was too weak after the hospital stay to do them.

Return to “FMT Discussion”