POST FMT - WHAT HAS HELPED OTHERS

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
okaylo
Regular Contributor

POST FMT - WHAT HAS HELPED OTHERS

Postby okaylo » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:20 pm

I had my second FMT 8 days ago. Wanted to know what has helped others with IBS following an FMT. I had IBS prior to my FMT's but it has begun to act up even more since. I have the usual gas, bloating, abdominal pain, spasms, nausea, urgency, soft stools, and so on. It is the worst in the morning but the gas and feeling that I have to go lasts throughout the day and sometimes I have gas with mucus. Any suggestions on what people have tried is appreciated (Gas-X, Imodium, natural supplements, antispasmodics, whatever it may be). I just need to calm my gut down while things rebuild and heal. I realize it has only been a week but I have had gastrointestinal problems for close to 4 years so I have had my fair share of ups and downs. Blessings to all.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: POST FMT - WHAT HAS HELPED OTHERS

Postby beth22 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:40 am

Eating bland helped me the most. Also, probiotics help, but some doctors say not to use them after FMT. Check with your doctor. I felt better taking them, but only small amounts. If I took a full dose, it made things worse.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:31 am

Okaylo
Be patient , time will heal you . Stay on a bland diet as Beth suggested and ask your doctor about Symethicone , it helps with the gas also you can try some fennel tea.

okaylo
Regular Contributor

Postby okaylo » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:56 pm

Beth, I eat so bland... Rice, plain chicken breast/turkey, white bread, rice krispie cereal. Next to nothing else. No dairy, caffeine, candy, fruits, veggies, sauces, dressings, nuts, or anything. All I drink is water. Sometimes I'll eat half of a banana if I can handle it and that's very rare. I've heard about probiotics being used by some after an FMT but I have never responded well to them regardless of the situation and boy have I tried a lot of them including the medical grade VSL#3. Everything gives me D no matter how small the dose. My doctor said probiotics are an option but do not work well for everyone. He also mentioned that the FMT is the ultimate probiotic and is the best form of good bacteria you could ask for...

Georgina, I am trying so hard to be patient but time seems to move so much slower nowadays. I will continue with the bland diet. I asked my doctor about something for the loose stools and gas and he said to take an Imodium as needed as its a very safe and mild option. I have been trying not to take anything at all but today I had to take an Imodium as I was two hours late to work and my anxiety is through the roof.

Return to “FMT Discussion”