Three days post fmt

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
allenb
Contributor

Three days post fmt

Postby allenb » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:37 pm

I'm posting my experience with the fmt in hopes it will benefit someone. I first got cliff Dec 6th after having four back surgeries in six months and being on antibiotics each time. I had severe abdominal pain, cramps, nausea, and fatigue, but was still not diagnosed until June. I was put on flagyl, vanco, and dificid. I tested negative after the dificid but then tested positive again after two weeks. I had lost so much weight and was so weak my gi put me in the local hospital here in manassas. He then contacted inova fairfax hospital who does fmts and had me transferred on Sunday afternoon. I was put on a liquid diet and the next day the hospital dr told me I was not a candidate for fmt since I had been constipated the past few days. I told her I had had diarrhea for weeks and it had only stopped once I was on the pain meds and antibiotics. I demanded to talk to the hospital administrator and also called my gi dr. Within an hour the hospital gi dr, dr gaspar, came to see me and said he would do the fmt the next day. The procedure was not bad but I was only able to hold it in for one hour which really concerned me but the nurse said they were successful with a lot less time. I know Roy and a lot of others said you had to stop the antibiotics two days before the procedure but both my gi and the Id doctor said they wanted to kill as much of the infection as possible before the fmt so we compromised and stopped one day before. I pray we made the right choice.

It has been less than three days since the fmt so probably too early too tell, but I have not had diarrhea, my pain level and nausea are 50% better and my appetite has returned. My advice to anyone going through this is don't give up. Challenge the Drs and fight for yourself and escalate whenever you have to. One funny note__my dr said my donor was from Boston so I might start talking with an accent. I now have to go paak my cah and go to a paaty. Larry.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Three days post fmt

Postby AllisS » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:53 pm

I live in Boston, and I can tell you it is very challenging to find places to paak the cah here!
Best wishes for your continuing recovery,
Allison
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:37 pm

Larry

Wishing you the best!! Sounds like you are on the road to recovery! Keep us updated!

NanciT

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:52 pm

Hopefully stopping the antibiotics 24h before FMT was a wise decision.Have you done a cleanse?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:19 am

Many doctors have you stop 24 hrs before. If you do a laxative prep, which I'm sure you had to for a colonoscopy, it will clear you of the residual medication. At least that is what I was told.

allenb
Contributor

Postby allenb » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:51 am

Yes, I had the prep the night before. What a horrible experience a hospital stay is. Liquid diet for two days, blood sugar tests every six hours, woken up every four hours for blood pressure check, and the guy next to me had Alzheimer's so he screamed and cried continually. Hopefully this is the end to my cliff.

Return to “FMT Discussion”