Recurrence after FMT

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
cdiffh8r
Brand New Poster

Recurrence after FMT

Postby cdiffh8r » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:49 am

Hi, I have had a recurrence of c diff less than 3 months after fecal transplant. Have had ulcerative colitis for about 3 decades. 3 occurrences this year prior to FMT, treated with flagyl then vancomycin. Dr now trying to get me back on vanco for 3 weeks then plans to taper. House was bleached down after FMT. Have not been on antibiotics since FMT, have been taking daily Florastor also. Can't figure out why back. Dr won't tell me what's next if vanco fails, says we are getting into "uncharted territory." Looking for some answers, anyone who's had this happen?

roy
Administrator

Re: Recurrence after FMT

Postby roy » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:46 am

What are your relapse symptoms?

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:49 am

Some people require a second FMT, so I would ask for that after you finish your taper.

NikaNik
Long Time Contributor

Postby NikaNik » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:59 am

So sorry to hear. Hang in there! Are you having symptoms of c diff or did you just have a positive test with no symptoms? Also are you on any oral steroids for the UC or PPIs (acid reflux medications). They have been linked to c diff.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:06 am

A positive test without symptoms would indicate that you are asymptomatic carrier and it does not require treatment. Have you tested because you were symptomatic or because you wanted to prove you are cured?

kandr
New User

Postby kandr » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:07 pm

OMG !!! I am Freaking Out !!! Reading all this !!!

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:27 pm

Kandr
Tests are not perfect!
If you submit 10 tests and one says different to the others what ones are correct!
I would trust the 9 results and not the 1 result.
Symptoms tell if a c.diff infection needs treating and typically symptoms are watery D 3 or more times a day.
If symptoms do not match the test result the expert instructions that Dr's are guided by say no treatment needed.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:27 pm

Kandr
Welcome to the site. Please read the first thread on the home page Rules for Posting.

Sorry you are experiencing these complications after going through a FMT.
I have the same questions as most of the others about why you had the test done and what symptoms you are having.
Generally you don't test for cure because of the risk of false positives and you don't treat without multiple episodes of watery d/day for 3 days. And in your case, I would assume symptoms could be confounded by your UC.

Is it the same dr who did your transplant that is making these decisions? If it were me, I would not be in a rush to treat again unless there is a lot of information you did not include here and there are answers that would change what I have been told by my dr. And I certainly could not contradict your dr so whatever I say is just what I have been told and/or what I would do.

Rita

kandr
New User

Postby kandr » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:52 pm

Hi, Sorry for the confusion. I do not have UC and I did not have the FMT yet. I am 51 years old and I have never had GI problems until 2012 when I tested positive for Cdiff. I work in health care & think I picked it up at work. Now Nothing But GI problems. I tested Positive in April 2016 & again Sept. 7th 2016. So Now I am Confused ! Is it really Cdiff again... Still ?? My Biggest Complaint is Pain on Right Side & Major IBS !

I am Very afraid of having the FMT... But I am also Very afraid of Not having it !

Thank you Everyone for all your input !! I would B LOST without this group !!

Blessings & Restored Health to ALL !!!

cdiffh8r
Brand New Poster

Postby cdiffh8r » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:37 pm

roy wrote:
> What are your relapse symptoms?
Urgency to go, low grade cramping, solid stool turning loose with a frequency of 4-5 times a day.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:30 am

Those symptoms are not classic Cdiff symptoms , they can also be IBS or you also said you have IBD witch 1 FMT sometimes can't help with. Sometimes more then 1 FT is needed to get better even for Cdiff patients that don't have other GI issues. There is a clinic in Argentina that is specialized in FMT for patients with UC or IBS is called Newberry clinic , Dr. Silvio Najt , you can google that.

Return to “FMT Discussion”