Accepted for FMT and want to know what to expect

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
Davidtm
Regular Contributor

Accepted for FMT and want to know what to expect

Postby Davidtm » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:26 pm

I am waiting to be scheduled for an fmt and was wondering if anyone could answer a few questions I have regarding a colonoscopy fmt

1) about how long does the procedure take?
2) is it a sedated procedure?
3) was it painful?
4) were you able to watch on screen what was happening?

I have many more questions for the dr I was able to get from this forum but just trying to manage my anxiety and get a general idea of what I'll be facing. I'm not as worried about pain I know is coming etc. I am however afraid of pain relievers and anesthesia. I am 100 percent drug and alcohol free and don't like the idea of altered mental states. I also suffer from sleep paralysis and worry twilight sedation would be like that. But I can prepare myself. Thanks in advance for everyone's input and help during the last week since my relapse. I really appreciate everything from everyone. I can't wait for meds to kick in again so I can try and be helpful to others and less focused on myself.

Overthis
New User

Re: Accepted for FMT and want to know what to expect

Postby Overthis » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:22 pm

Hi Davidtm,

I had an fmt done around a month or so ago and it was no different than a colonoscopy.
I was fully sedated, no pain whatsoever. I did see my donors specimen before i was put under (it was just brown liquid in a glass beaker.) i would say i was out about 15 to 20 mins. I lost the majority of my sample when i came out of anesthesia but was tested about 2 weeks after my fmt due to some symptoms and yested negative. I've not really had any issues. It actually seems to have almost cured my ibs too.
Best of luck!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:29 pm

It is the same as for a colonoscopy. The laxative prep is the worst part. For the procedure itself you are sedated. Here they like to use propofol. I have had this administered for several things, including FMT and I have never had a reaction. For my first FMT via colonoscopy, I was given Versed and I think Valium and I felt very woozy and groggy afterwards. With the propofol I was completely clear-headed and not lightheaded at all. Check with the doctor to see what they use at the facility. You can also ask to speak to the anesthesiologist who will be giving you the meds.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:19 am

David
If you are doing the FMT by the upper route you would not need anesthesia but the colonoscopy is done under iv sedation but without the breathing tube like when you are having surgery.It would be a small amount of Propofol or Midazolam (like my doctor said) to keep you asleep for 15 min.You can have a colonoscopy FMT without anesthesia but it is painful and not everyone can bear the pain.

Return to “FMT Discussion”