2nd FMT

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
code3rn
Regular Contributor

Re: 2nd FMT

Postby code3rn » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:49 pm

My GI doctor gives patients a handout when they schedule an FMT. In it, he states his own personal experience in his practice (which also correlates with other studies) is that first time FMT is 90% success rate. For those cases that the first one does not work, a 2nd FMT brought the cure rate to 96-98%. So the odds are in your favor if cdiff is what is causing the majority of your problems. I'm sorry to hear you are suffering and hope you get well soon!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:55 am

I am another one that has had more than one FMT. The first one I had though, was with an NG tube and it failed completely. I relapsed 3 weeks later. The one I had with a colonoscopy did work, but I had terrible IBS and SIBO afterwards, not from the FMT most likely, but from the many months of vanco and the c diff itself most likely. About 7 months after that FMT I was given Cipro to take for another infection and I had a terrible relapse and subsequently had another FMT (upper and lower) after more months of antibiotics. I can think of a few others that needed a second FMT as well. If you have to get one fine, but I would make sure that c diff is the only issue, as Roy mentioned. You don't want to go through the FMT for nothing or if you have SIBO, for example, then they might want you to take something like Xifaxan before the FMT. A colonoscopy would not tell you if you had SIBO because that is in the small intestine, but it can cause the symptoms you describe, at least, it did for me.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:20 am

My first FMT failed too , probably because it was done trough the naso-gastric tube and those are not as successful as the colonoscopy transplants , or because I was not prepped with vanco.

Return to “FMT Discussion”