Relapse after 1 FMT

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
Rosie93
New User

Relapse after 1 FMT

Postby Rosie93 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:21 am

Hello,

Is there anyone who had a relapse after 1 FMT? If so, at what point did you know that the cdiff was back? Was the next step to go back on antibiotics or have another FMT?
Also, is another FMT considered follow up treatment or would it cost as much as the first FMT? Sorry for all the questions.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: Relapse after 1 FMT

Postby georgina » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:15 am

I had a relapse after 1 FMT but it was done trough the naso-gastric tube and those are not that successful , but sometimes more then 1 FMT is needed to get well. I would definitely go for the second FMT if it's proven that you relapsed , but you still have to prep with meds prior to the procedure.I was not given any meds prior to my FMt and this , i think , added to my failure Have you been tested , what are your symptoms?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:05 am

Yes, we have had some posters who required a second FMT. Be sure it is c diffcile though and get a test. PI-IBS has symptoms that are very similar.

Rosie93
New User

Postby Rosie93 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:11 am

Was the second FMT a success for you? I was off vaco for about 3 weeks before my first FMT. I think I have relapsed because I am still having D at least 4 times every day for a week now and the cramping has come back. I am going to re-test sometime this week. My doctor never said anything about taking antibiotics up until the procedure; is it something that should be done?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:33 pm

If you had active c diff at the time, then you would have been on vanco. If you did not have an active infection, then you probably did not need the vanco. Different doctors have different protocols. I would get tested to see if it is c diff or just IBS. Many people, including myself, have had D after FMT. It takes a long time to heal, regardless of the FMT. Some doctors tell you to do home FMT enemas after a colonoscopy FMT.

Rosie93
New User

Postby Rosie93 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:33 pm

Beth,

I was active with c diff after completing the vaco. My symptoms came back almost immediately and stool re-tested positive after vaco. I was never put back on meds - Just scheduled for FMT 3 weeks later. Almost certain it failed...I took another stool sample and am waiting for results but of course the doctor didn't get back to me and I will have to wait until Monday. After everything I'm reading on here and researched, I am beginning to think my doctor is messing this up by letting so much time pass between positive test and action. If I am still positive for cdiff and need second FMT, should I insist on taking meds before it? Would you recommend I seek another doctor? If that happens, I will surely be waiting awhile for treatment. I haven't been on antibiotics in over a month, and had the FMT over two weeks ago. Still experiencing all symptoms of active infection.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:48 am

The people here who have been cured by FMT all seem to have taken vanco up until 2 days before the FMT.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:06 am

Rosie
In my opion , you can't do FMT when your gut is crowded with pathogens , FMT should always be done when the bad bacteria colony is destroyed and the gut is clean. This is why my FMT failed as well , although it was done trough nasogastric tube and those don't have the highest cure rate.My doc insisted on doing FMT without prepping me with vanco prior to it , the FMT failed because i was off vanco 9 weeks. If you will end up needing another FMT *(hopefully not) you should definitely insist on taking meds prior to it.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:41 am

With the exception of FMT enemas that I have done at home myself, I had to take vanco prior to the FMT with NG tube as well as with the colonoscopy transfers. I stopped the day before the transfers. When I did the home enemas, I was having very mild symptoms despite testing positive. However, a PCR test will still show positive for a while afterwards if you have not taken the vanco prior to the procedure. That is what happened to me with the FMT enemas. I tested about 2 weeks later to see if they had worked and the test was still positive. I felt much better though and did not do any more. About 6 weeks later, I tested again and the test was negative. But, if you are having symptoms and a positive test, then I think taking a med before doing another transfer would be a good idea.

Rosie93
New User

Postby Rosie93 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:24 pm

I agree. I'm bummed, any good bacteria I might have gotten from the FMT will be destroyed again with an antibiotic. I think not being on meds before the procedure allowed the infection to take hold again.
Becoming quite discouraged :(

Return to “FMT Discussion”