8 Days Since FMT

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
Rosie93
New User

8 Days Since FMT

Postby Rosie93 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:44 am

Hi, Everyone,

It's been 8 days since my FMT and initially I was feeling better (more formed stools, less cramping/bloating). However, today I felt the c.diff was on its way back. This morning I had very loose stools and have gone 5x. My doctor did not offer any dietary suggestions following the treatment and basically wished me 'good luck.' I haven't heard from him since and have a million questions. He gave me the impression I would be feeling better almost immediately. This is certainly not the case. I had c. diff for almost 8 months before the FMT and failed on both "top of the line" antibiotics. I'm feeling so worried and frustrated. If this doesn't work, I'm not sure what I would do. I'm 23 years old and this has been consuming my life. I just want to feel normal again. I was wondering if anyone could offer me insight? Is it normal to go back and forth with symptoms before making a full recovery? Has anyone fully recovered?

Thanks so much !

gwang
Regular Contributor

Re: 8 Days Since FMT

Postby gwang » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:24 pm

I've done 10 FMT's to date. First one was about 5 months ago.

Let me tell you the recovery is up and down a looooot! Yeah, it's def not a miracle cure and about 25% end up with Post-infectious IBS which resembles c-diff a lot. Hopefully your bowels will calm down. They did a study with FMT pills and showed it took about 6 months for most of the people to get down to 1-2 BM's a day.

Bottom line is I'm still not 100% back to normal. I'm about 70%.

When I did my first FMT I couldn't tolerate any foods. Esp fiber, I'd run to the bathroom like 5-6x. But after more FMT's my poop doesn't have undigested food. I'd say about 70% of the time my stool is mushy / loose / formed (soft). 30% it's okay.

I've also been stuck with this intermittent tenemus (like theres pressure on my anus and feel the need to go but when I go to the bathroom nothing comes out).

TMI, but honestly you are probably going to have a new normal.

overit
Regular User

Postby overit » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:53 pm

Did you have a colonoscopy FMT?
I had a colonoscopy FMT 2 months ago and I had a very similar recovery. The first week after my FMT was not bad but then I felt like I got worse. Around week 4 I started to have a more consistent days but I'm still not back to how I was pre-cdiff. I still have good days and bad days but overall I feel like the cdiff is gone and it's going to take some time for my colon to heal.
My doctor said I could eat what I wanted. It seems like it's trial and error for most people. I've been very cautious with my diet and haven't touched sugar or dairy since my FMT.
Hang in there! You will get better.

Rosie93
New User

Postby Rosie93 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:33 pm

Yes I had the FMT via upper colonoscopy. And TMI but I definitely feel like all the muscles in and around my butt are strained. I'm going to continue to look for progress. Would you all recommend being re-tested? If so, how soon?
Thanks again for responding. I haven't been able to talk to anyone who has been through this until now!

overit
Regular User

Postby overit » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:32 pm

Try to take it one day at a time and not get discouraged if you have some setbacks. Progress for me has been very slow and I feel like it'll be several more months or even a year before I fully recover. Even though I might not feel 100%, I count each day that I haven't relapsed as progress because I know I'm 1 day closer to being back to normal.
I saw my GI at my 2 month mark post FMT and he said most people say they feel about 70% better by that time which I think is aggressive.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:19 pm

OK
You had a pipe shoved up where the sun don't shine, air blasted up where it's never been before and you say it feels bruised?
Yup it's bruised!
All the experts say don't retest.
If you feel well(ish) that's all that matters.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:45 pm

Hello and welcome to the site, please read the thread for all new posters,

You mentioned you were on medications for 8 months? Which ones? Did you do a pulse /taper?

I ask because I believe recovery can also be related to how long you were taking these medication. What has your diet been? That can be another issue in recovery.

Sorry you are going through all this, you will get better and yes often GI's with say the FMT works so well but your history has something to do with the recovery.
NanciT

Rosie93
New User

Postby Rosie93 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:38 pm

I was on Flagyl for 10 days and experienced relapse. The doc followed with Vancomycin 4x a day for 14 days. I relapsed again, and stool tested positive. Since I was never relieved of symptoms throughout both antibiotics, we decided to try FMT. I have been trying to eat a very bland diet (eliminated gluten and dairy with the exception of keifer.) I have also been incorporating fermented foods like sauerkraut. Gas cramping usually comes on in the afternoon regardless of foods. Additionally, I've been taking the probiotic, Saccharomyces Boulardii. My doctor told me to continue with probiotics; however, I noticed a lot of people on the forum were saying they were advised not to take them immediately following FMT.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:01 am

Cabbage is a gassy food, so try eliminating that and see if it helps. I am years post C diff, but if I ate sauerkraut I would be in the bathroom a lot.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:19 am

Rosie , glad you had a FMT , but what do you mean by upper colonoscopy? Give your gut time to heal and your new flora time to implant and grow , it can't happen overnight. FMt is not a miracle cure , like most people think , you can still experience symptoms for awhile but eventually as time passes things will firm up and you'll feel better. Time is the best healer , be patient.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:00 am

Rosie

As many have mentioned, it can take some time with this for a full recovery. You were on 2 rounds of meds which is not alot so hopefully with this FMT your gut will heal but it does take time. It sounds like you are doing everything right, you may just need time.
Feel better soon!
NanciT

Return to “FMT Discussion”