Eating after fmt

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
susant
Regular Contributor

Eating after fmt

Postby susant » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:18 am

I need advice from those who have had fmt or know what to eat to feed the new bugs. My diet was really bad after my first fmt and while I know that didn't cause relapse it didn't help either. I've been eating lots of fiber since this last fmt--peanuts, quinoa, oats, bananas, etc. Can anyone give me advice on what to eat and what to stay away from? I know sugar is bad but is the sugar in fruits bad?

Thanks a lot!

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Re: Eating after fmt

Postby amyc » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:57 am

Baked potatoes have fiber, potassium, a little protein and vitamin C. I also find them very soothing for the gut. I can't eat peanuts or bananas. Apparently pistachios are good for gut bacteria. Did Dr Shepard tell you to go super heavy on fiber after your FMT?

susant
Regular Contributor

Postby susant » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:13 pm

He didn't say anything except stay away from sugar. I've just read to eat fiber

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:08 pm

Ask your doc. I was told to eat fiber - feeds good bacteria. Add gradually.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:41 pm

A source of fiber that your senstive gut can digest now are potatoes , apples , brown rice , oatmeal , bananas , carrots , parnsnip and celery (that you can use in soups).Don't overdo it with fiber , if you eat too much you can have D from it.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:56 pm

This is going to be a strange suggestion, but I found after C diff that I do really well eating beans. I can eat an entire can of beans, or bake canned refried beans on a flour tortilla till the beans are hot and the tortilla gets crispy, and devour them with no ill effects. I wouldn't recommend that you try it without confirmation that I'm not just some kind of freak hahaha.

susant
Regular Contributor

Postby susant » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:41 pm

There is garlic in my multivitamin. I have read garlic kills gut bacteria and saw someone on the site say it killed the good stuff too. Now I really think I need a new multivitamin.. I've been taking it for a week..: please tell me I haven't been killing all the new good bacteria

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:03 pm

I don't think the small amount in a multi-vitamin would do any harm. I think taking a garlic supplement would not be a good idea. The amount they put into garlic supplement capsules is a lot higher. Also, I have read to not take more than 250mg of vitamin C per day. It can also kill good bacteria. Check and see how much your vitamin C has.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:46 am

VGW
Brand New Poster

Postby VGW » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:47 pm

I just had my second FMT the first one failed me. I am afraid to eat anything. I had some boiled chicken and 1/2 cup stewed plain potatoes and 1/2 cup peas all plain no seasoning. I am now bloated terribly with indigestion. CDiff has destroyed my life a 3 year battle with left me with colitis also. :(

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:13 pm

VGW,

The foods u mention e are good choices and easy to digest. Did the doc who did the FMT give u food suggestions? It will take your GI tract awhile to recover.

Welcome to the site. Please read the first forum for info on c diff and posting on this site.

Keep posting. We understand what u are going through.

Return to “FMT Discussion”