13 days post colonoscopy FMT and having a bad day

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
overit
Regular User

13 days post colonoscopy FMT and having a bad day

Postby overit » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:13 pm

I had a colonoscopy FMT on June 9th after 1 round of vanco and 2 rounds of difficid. Everything was fine for the first week and a half but today I'm feeling shakey and having very soft BMs. My doctor said only the first week should be bumpy so I can't help but get nervous and have that fear come back again. For those that needed a second FMT did the doctors schedule it right away or did they make you try the antibiotics first?

roy
Administrator

Re: 13 days post colonoscopy FMT and having a bad day

Postby roy » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:45 pm

Normally you take a course of c.diff meds right up to 48 hours before the FMT and then a colonoscopy prep to clear you out.
That is normal for first and subsequent FMTs.
Others will post soon that their experience of recovery was a lot longer than a week or two!

overit
Regular User

Postby overit » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:54 pm

For the folks that relapsed after a FMT, how many days before you relapsed? I read that most general relapses are within the 1st 2 weeks post antibiotics but I haven't seen anything on post FMT.

gwang
Regular Contributor

Postby gwang » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:10 pm

When I had my FMT the first month and a half was really really bad.

I had the shakes, general ill feeling and mucus loose stools. I even had an interview for a job that same week and almost thought I was going to die. I'm not 100% sure why that first month is so bumpy. My theory is that either the microbiome is establishing itself, immune system is sorting out the foreign bacteria, or your body is healing and readjusting after the c-diff infection. Honestly, these could all be wrong but all I know is the first month was bumping.

Also I noticed my stool was very pale in color with only 1 FMT. However, after having follow-up FMT's my stool started getting more brown and darker (normal color). I believe the first FMT did not give me enough of the bacteria needed to digest food properly.

That being said, the first month even though it felt similar if not worse than c-diff I always tested negative. Even one week out from the FMT it was negative both by GDH and PCR.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:43 pm

When I got my first FMT, the instructions said to expect IBS symptoms for about 3 - 4 months. When I had my second one, via colonoscopy (first one was ng tube), the doctor said off and on symptoms for up to a year. I got SIBO and found I could not tolerate a lot of foods that I was able to eat before. Maybe you are eating things that you can't digest well right now. See if anything makes it worse. For me it was dairy, fruits and vegetables.

overit
Regular User

Postby overit » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:45 pm

Thanks everyone for the responses. Hopefully it's just a bad day and part of my recovery but as always with this illness my mind goes to the worst place.

susant
Regular Contributor

Postby susant » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:19 pm

I had fmt 5 months ago and suffer from awful Ibs symptoms. I've tested 9 times since my fmt and all have been negative. It takes a Long time for some of us to get better even when the Cdiff is gone!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:36 pm

I, too, had weeks of IBS after a FMT. Eventually I felt better.

overit
Regular User

Postby overit » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:42 pm

Update, I'm now 21 days post FMT and I feel great (although I'm almost afraid to jinx myself). The second week for me was more of a roller coaster than the first but I feel pretty much back to normal this week. Praying I've seen the last of cdif!

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:36 pm

Great news! Glad you are starting to turn the corner! I wish you continued improvement! Thanks for sharing the positive news!

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:06 am

So happy you are starting to see improvement.Great news indeed. When you would feel like the time is right , please write a success story!

overit
Regular User

Postby overit » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:12 pm

I had blood work done yesterday to test for any vitamin deficiencies and I'm awaiting those results. However, my dr (not my GI) tested my inflammation levels and they came back looking great! This is huge for me as I have psoriatic arthritis so inflammation is normally high and when I was sick with cdif it was severely elevated. I'm hoping this is another sign that I'm finally beating this thing!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:52 pm

That is good news. Let us know how your other tests come out.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:34 pm

Good news. It took me weeks after a FMT to feel better. Continued good luck.

overit
Regular User

Postby overit » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:46 pm

My bloodwork came back and I'm deficient in vitamin D which explains some of the fatigue. I'll start a supplement tonight and hopefully I see a difference soon!

Return to “FMT Discussion”