Food advice after FMT

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
overit
Regular User

Food advice after FMT

Postby overit » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:29 pm

I've been following this site for some time now. I started with cdif in March after taking ceftin for a sinus infection. I was traveling and went to the hospital in London where they gave me cipro...they never tested me for anything. Two weeks later I was home and was diagnosed with cdif. I took 10 days of vanco and had a recurrence a week after I finished then my doc put me on 20 days of dificid. That seemed to do the trick but two weeks post dificid it came back. I'm now scheduled for a FMT next week and I'm wondering what food I should be eating afterwards. Also, do people normally start the Florastor right after or wait?

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Re: Food advice after FMT

Postby Ril » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:59 pm

Overit, welcome to the site. Please read the first thread on the home page entitled "Please read before you post".
There is some good information in this section in other posts from people asking questions and getting responses about FMTs.
Some of what you are asking is individualized based on your tolerance. People tolerate probiotics and foods differently. You can check with your dr to see if he has any particular regime he recommends then after that there is some trial and error involved. Foods are generally added carefully just as during c diff.
Others who have had FMTs will write with their experiences and you can also do a search using the search bar.
Best of luck with your procedure.
Rita

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: Food advice after FMT

Postby georgina » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:32 am

I had an FMT seven months ago via naso-gastric tube , it was not pleasant but it cured my infection (I hope) although it left me with IBS. There is no rule on what you can and what you cannot eat after FMT ,it's all trial and error , you eat what you can tolerate. Some FMT experts recommend a low fiber diet before the infusion and a high fiber diet after to feed the good bacteria , but high fiber can be a little hard for your GI tract. However , you should stay away from alcohol , excess sugar , leafy greens , and junk food (pizza, burgers , fries, etc).
About probiotics , experts do not recommend starting probiotics after FMT because some think that the bacteria from probiotic can compete with the starter culture from FMT , and personally I don't see why you will need to take probiotics when you received a superior probiotic and trough FMT .

Return to “FMT Discussion”